TR: 8/4-8/6 May Lake, Mount Hoffman, & More

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: 8/4-8/6 May Lake, Mount Hoffman, & More

Post by marmotsgalore »

Hey everyone,

First of all, I want to thank everyone who helped me out with my initial itinerary. Originally, my partner and I had planned on doing a one night backpacking trip to Ostrander Lake starting from Westfall Meadow since that was one of the only wilderness permits available at the time. However, after asking HST for some guidance on our proposed route, we decided that it would be best to try again for a different permit due to the amount of bushwhacking required and blowdown in Westfall Meadow. My coworker recommended checking out May Lake, and luckily I was able to secure a permit 7 days before our anticipated trip date.

I was very excited to say the least! I had never been to the Tioga Road/Tuolumne Meadows area before, and I had been eagerly checking the Yosemite NP website for updates on when Tioga Road would finally open. Since the hike to May Lake is quite short and neither of us have been to Tioga Road before, our itinerary consisted of an assortment of brief hikes and a drive along the length of Tioga Road for a tour of the area.

8/4 Drive to Yosemite from home

After some last minute packing on a Friday after work, we began the long journey to Yosemite, arriving in the park at dark after 10 pm. We stayed at the Yosemite Valley Backpacker's campground for the night. I usually have a lot of trouble sleeping at night while camping, but that night I surprisingly slept quite well!

8/5 An assortment of hikes along Tioga Road... Ending at May Lake
IMG_6464.jpg

The next morning, we packed up our belongings and drove to the Yosemite Wilderness Center to pick up our wilderness permit and the Village Store to pick up some last minute goodies. While a park ranger was giving us the usual spiel prior to handing us our permit, a lady came up to the counter to introduce herself to the park ranger as the "Secretary" then quickly backed off, saying she did not want to interrupt too much. Turns out that lady was the US Secretary of the Interior, Deb Haaland! Wow.

After receiving our wilderness permit and grabbing some snacks, we headed on our way on the beautiful Tioga Road! We first stopped at Olmstead Point, which offered sweeping views of the Tenaya Canyon, Half Dome, and Cloud's Rest.
IMG_6470.jpg

We then drove to Tenaya Lake to rest on the beach and have a snack and we were blown away by the size and clarity of the lake water. What a unique feeling, experiencing what felt like a beach at 8,000 feet! One day, I would love to paddleboard here or bring floaty tubes to enjoy being in the water more lol.

Since the hike to May Lake is less than 2 miles, we decided to do a short day hike to lower Cathedral Lake, taking a very steep but much shorter path than the traditional route to Cathedral Lakes on the side of Tioga Road. Once we got to the lake, I gathered the courage to finally take a dip in alpine lake, my dream! I'm a huge chicken when it comes to cold water, so I was quite proud of myself. We had a humble lunch of tuna tortilla wraps while admiring the scenery.
IMG_6501.jpg

It was now afternoon, and we decided it was time to head to May Lake. We hiked back to our car and drove to the May Lake trailhead (the road to the trailhead is finally open fyi!) securing the last available parking space. We embarked on a short but steep hike to May Lake, set up our tent, and took a short nap. Then we climbed Mount Hoffman which took about 2 hours round trip from May Lake. I haven't summited many mountains, but Mount Hoffman had the most beautiful summit views I've witnessed by far. There was so much of the park we could see from the summit since it is geographically located in the center of Yosemite. On one side of the mountain, we could see tons of icefields? glaciers? and several extremely turquoise pools of water. In the distance we could see two truly alpine lakes - if we had more time, I would loved to off trail and explore those lakes.
IMG_6533.jpg
IMG_6537.jpg

I also got to see a marmot for the first time while climbing Mount Hoffman! Such cute and shy critters who were much bigger than I thought. I saw at least 6 of them on the mountain, a special treat.
IMG_6519.jpg

We got down from the mountain as the sun was setting and boiled water for our dehydrated meals for dinner. We took melatonin but had trouble sleeping that night.

8/6 Tioga Lake and drive back home

The next morning I was awoken by our neighbors who were speaking pretty loudly. May lake is beautiful but indeed quite busy due to the short distance required to hike to it.
IMG_6570.jpg

We hiked back to the car and decided to drive the length of Tioga Road to Tioga Lake. I took another dip in the lake, and we drove back to Tenaya Lake one last time before heading on the long journey once again back home :).
IMG_6575.jpg

I can't wait to explore more of the Sierra... If only I had more time off haha :[. Looking forward to my next adventure! Thank you for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: 8/4-8/6 May Lake, Mount Hoffman, & More

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report! Hoffman does, indeed, have great views--and a large population of marmots!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Sounds like a great first adventure off the Tioga Road. Many more fine destinations await you! Nice photos.
-Phil
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

balzaccom wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:44 pm Nice report! Hoffman does, indeed, have great views--and a large population of marmots!
Yes! When we were packing up camp at May Lake, my partner even spotted a marmot hiding in a tree nearby. I guess he was checking if the coast was clear since at that time most of the people who had camped there had left! I was very surprised to see one not on the mountain. I wish I had gotten a picture but he was a shy fella and went into hiding almost immediately.
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

wildhiker wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 pm Sounds like a great first adventure off the Tioga Road. Many more fine destinations await you! Nice photos.
-Phil
Thank you! :D I just moved to California end of last year, so I haven't seen too much of the High Sierra. I am already blown away by the majesty of this small piece of it, and I can't wait to explore the less travelled areas.