status of 7S65: from Florence Lake to Jackass Meadow and Hooper Diversion Trailhead

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
pietro
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

status of 7S65: from Florence Lake to Jackass Meadow and Hooper Diversion Trailhead

Post by pietro »

Does anybody know if the gate at the intersection between Jackass Meadow Rd and Hooper Diversion Route is open and whether the (South Fork San Joaquin) river crossing in the meadow is passable with a high-clearance Jeep?
I know the gate has been closed for a while since this winter, up until the end of July at least...
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: status of 7S65: from Florence Lake to Jackass Meadow and Hooper Diversion Trailhead

Post by windknot »

I don't know if the gate is open, but the road to Hooper Diversion Dam and the Jackass Meadow campground are currently closed through Aug. 30 per Sierra NF Forest Order. Hooper Diversion TH permits are blocked off (not reservable) on Recreation.gov until Sep. 5. I called the High Sierra Ranger District a few weeks ago and they said the closures are due to flooding, so the SF San Joaquin is likely not crossable right now. (Map of road closures here)
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: status of 7S65: from Florence Lake to Jackass Meadow and Hooper Diversion Trailhead

Post by Enigmagic »

Florence Lake has been spilling since the first week of June.. on SentinelHub it looks to be slowing down but it hasn't stopped yet.

https://kmph.com/news/local/drone-captu ... rence-lake has video footage