Glen Pass - Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Glen Pass - Conditions

Post by DaveDill »

I’ll be headed over Glen Pass next week and assume by now trail is pounded out thoroughly but I still see a fair amount of snow on the north side. I’m wondering if there is any need for an axe or traction devices? If anyone has been over recently, I’d appreciate advice. Thanks.
isaac
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Glen Pass - Conditions

Post by isaac »

Interested in answers to the same question, so piling on here in a hope of attracting attention to this thread. And while we're at it: traction required for Sixty Lakes Basin, anyone? Rae Col looks pretty wintery on Sentinel Hub currently... I've also heard that the crossing at Middle Rae is a hefty one. Heading out there myself next week; deciding on the spikes.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@DaveDill

There is a pretty long and comprehensive report on the Facebook, Sierras Current Conditions Reports page. It is a few posts down and titled as below. Answers all the basic questions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sierratripreports

Matt Savener
Top contributor - 19 hours ago
Aug. 7-10: Onion Valley - Kearsarge Pass - Charlotte Lake - Glen Pass - Rae Lakes, and back to Onion Valley (with a day hike to Sixty Lakes Basin).

*[Yeah, I know I avoided Facebook for decades but wanting early PCT info this year made it 'unavoidable'. The above FB post is long, hence did not paste it + has photos].
M.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

I did virtually the same trip over Aug 8-12 (just a day behind the FB reporter’s trip) and agree with its conclusions. I did not carry any traction devices and didn’t experience problems on the Glen Pass snow crossings (or the one on east side of Kearsarge Pass, for that matter). I did, however, start a mini rock slide scrambling down one of the Glen Pass north-side switchbacks (did so because the “turn” in the switchback was covered by untracked high-angle snow) and banged up my shin a little.

Video from top of Glen Pass on Aug 9:
https://flic.kr/p/2oWfo2S

I also paid a limited visit to Sixty Lakes, but burned too much time trying (and failing) to access it via Rae Col; I felt uncomfortable with the long snow approach (which did NOT have boot tracks to speak of), and instead headed down via the JMT (to Upper Rae outlet) and then headed up the marked trail. Only got to the first of Sixty Lakes, then turned around due to imminent rain (which arrived that evening).

The JMT trail crossing at the Upper Rae outlet looked to be about 16”-18” deep (just a guess) if you can keep your balance on the rocks, but current looks fast. If the current pushes you a few feet downstream, looks (again, just a guess) to be 3 feet deep. I chose not to cross it, and didn’t see anyone cross it the brief time I was standing by it.

Here is a video: https://flic.kr/p/2oW9K5u

RE: trail conditions - after taking a beating from winter conditions (and PCT hikers), the JMT could use some work in a few places, but isn’t too bad. The entirety of the Kearsarge Pass trail (considering the terrain it goes through) is in excellent shape, on both the SEKI and the Inyo sides of the pass.
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by DaveDill »

@michaelzim, @grampy,

Thanks for the input. I just returned from Kearsarge Pass > Rae Lakes > 60 Lakes Basin. We carried axes and traction but never used. The crossing at Rae Lakes (pre-Hillary) is slightly over knee deep but easily managed with poles.