TR: 7/27-8/1 Lamarck Col > Evolution Basin > Alpine Col > Piute Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
waggo85
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: 7/27-8/1 Lamarck Col > Evolution Basin > Alpine Col > Piute Pass

Post by waggo85 »

My first post ever! Don't often share trip reports but am immensely grateful to HST for information making this trip possible.

The short version - what an incredible time to be in the mountains. Conditions were ideal: Wildflowers blooming at nearly all elevations, few mosquitos (although regular breezes certainly helped), snow was more of a benefit than it was a burden, and manageable creek crossing - on this route at least. I'll try to follow up with more details and photos (gotta figure out how to do that) but wanted to get this out, in case report on conditions was timely for anyone.

The three of us arrived at North Lake Campground in the evening of 7/27. The mosquitos quickly found us as we loaded our packs and began to head to lower Lamarck Lake for the night. Little did we know that would be the worse of them and the only time we would don our headnets. Upon return to the North Lake parking lot midday on the 1st, few mosquitos found us.

Lower Lamarck Lake was quite windy the night of 7/27. As such, we felt little bug pressure. Two of us were able easily cross the logs at the outlet of the lake, but in a recurring theme of the trip, my friend Mike eagerly took off his socks and walked across the creek. We ended up all do so at the crossing near Upper Lamarck, but the offtrail route to stay on the south side of the creek seemed quite doable. We didn't mind getting our feet a bit wet.

Following the route up Lamarck Col was mostly straight forward. Frequent snowy patches required some route finding to pick up the trail on the other side. The snow was perfect for us throughout the trip - hardly any post-holing, suncups relatively diminished and at times helpful for greater purchase on steep sections in softer snow, firm yet soft enough to kick in steps with our trail runners.

Traversing the lakes in Darwin Canyon was a little tougher than expected- the route was sometimes underwater, under sketchy snowcrossing/cornice hanging over one of the lakes. We spent some time in the boulders, making our way. Took a break on one of the isthmus between the second and third lake. The north shore of the last lake looked like it required a lengthy detour around and a precarious snowfield above the lake shore, so we ended making our way through the southside and found a lovely campsite on the west end of the Canyon, above Darwin Bench. We would spend two nights there.

We decided to save Alpine Col for the next day and wander to Evolution Basin. Darwin Bench was an absolutely eden with creeks and waterfalls flowing, and snowy peak views towards Evolution Basin opening up. It was easy enough to follow the use trail for the most part, although it disappeared regularly under snowfields and a lake at one point.

We had heard from the only two people we saw at Lamarck Col after leaving the lakes that Evolution Basin was still socked in with snow. It did not seem so much that way to us, but we only went to Evolution Lake for the day before returning to our camp. Evolution Lake was clear and lovely, although the JMT did seem to be still fairly snowy along its eastern shore. I was shocked how few mosquitos there were - midday, with only a light breeze. The waterfall at it's outlet on the northwestern edge of the lake was a surprise to us - absolutely roaring. A crossing there to climb Peak 11576 was not possible - better to swim through the lake, or make your way around the southern end of evolution.

We had Evolution Lake initially to ourselves, but then the thruhikers started to arrive. The JMT seemed to have a steady flow of SOBO hikers, most if not all having crossed the twisted SJ bridge. A bit of a surprise to see so many having done that, and we were glad to leave the JMT to return to our use trail to lead us through Darwin Bench and solitude (although we did run into the McClure Ranger making her way back from Lamarck Col - the chillest ranger any of us had ever encountered. Friendly and helpful!).

The next day we crossed Alpine Col. The sketchiest part of our whole trip involved a few steep snow crossings above the frozen lakes - Lake 11540 and Lake 11910. It was a bit nerve wracking to lead - much easier to follow in footprints. That said, while I had Hillsound trail crampons and trekking poles, my friend Matt had some kind of lighter, studded traction device (he liked it well enough!), while Mike had decided not to bring any traction support but was satisfied heel kicking with his Altra Lone Peaks and using is lone trekking pole for support. I will say it was a mistake for us to decide we liked the look of the west side of Lake 11910 - I did not like that portion, as a steep slip down would have meant submerging in any icy lake with a long way to get to sturdy shore. With hindsight, the east side looked less risky. I'll follow up with photos.

Aside from that, Alpine Col was a relative breeze. The snow on the north side was ample and easy enough to navigate. It was steep, and perhaps the softness of the snow a bit slippery as we descended in the early afternoon - but Mike led the way, kicking in steps with his Lone Peak heels.

Looking back at Alpine Col from the shores of Lake Goethe

We ended up camping on a ridge just above the unnamed smaller lake past Goethe. A lovely spot with views of Humphrey, Muriel, and Goethe near a nice water feature full of wildflowers. After dinner, we wandered further up the ridge to have a look at routes for tomorrow - tired as we were of navigating lakeshore snow and boulders. All the lakes we could see in the basin looked clear, except for the Wahoo Lakes. We could not see Humphrey's lakes. Overall, we were floored by the expansive views of a nearly snow-free Humphrey's Basin, lingering for sunset and leaving truly inspired for the day to come.

Lake Muriel below

In the morning, we moved camp about a mile down near Muriel (another lovely spot) and spent a wondrous day wandering Humphrey's Basin, visiting Desolation Lakes, Mesa, Square and Tomahawk (all clear!) before making our way back. We were fortunate to stumble upon a shallow and clear lake east of Tomahawk - finally, one warm enough to swim in! The views of Humphrey, a snowy Glacial Divide, and high meadow wildflowers all day long were unbelievable. The sunset that night was one of the best skies we've seen.

Warm enough for a shallow dip

The last morning, we headed back to North Lake via Piute Pass. An easy and delightful trail. We encountered many groups making their way up (a little jarring after days of solitude), many of whom asking for details about the snowiness of the pass. We were happy to report only a few trekked out and manageable snowy patches remained on the way up Piute. We got buzzed by mosquitos a few times on the way down, but never enough to consider donning our head nets. Wildflowers to admire everywhere - the delightuflly-scented Tiger Lillies in particular were standout near the bottom of the trail.

What a trip. Hope to add more details and photos (edit: done!) in the days to come.
Last edited by waggo85 on Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: 7/27-8/1 Lamarck Col > Evolution Basin > Alpine Col > Piute Pass

Post by Fviolich »

Great first post Waggo85, really enjoyed the descriptions of alternate routes, maneuvering around frozen lakes, and looking forward to your pics. Headed that way NOBO 8/30 after a resuppply at South Lake. We’ll have 5 days left and our initial plan was going up to Darwin, over Alpine, and seeing Humphries Basin before heading to North Lake but based on conditions though it might be ambitious so we planned to simply go out Lamarck instead after seeing the Darwin Bench area. After reading your post I’m feeling like our initial plan is totally doable. We have Petzl Leopard crampons. We also have CAMP Corsa ice axes. The latter doesnt sound necessary for this 5 day stretch so maybe we ship home from Bishop? Your thoughts? Thanks! - Frano
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@waggo85
Yep, agreed. Great first post though some photos would be enhance it a lot too! Yes it is a pain learning how to do it but is easy enough once figure it out. There is a guide here in the how to section but not sure it is up to date... https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... .php?t=103
By the way I use this website to easily make all my photos small enough (I just go with 500 KB file size) to post into HS Topix... https://bulkresizephotos.com/en You can do the whole lot in one pass. Or you can 'link post' c/o Flickr or similar photos websites that support the format.

I'm a big fan of Lamarck Col and will be doing some of your route a month from now with a friend I want to show the "best of the best" of the Sierras to. So am keen to know if your camping spot on west side of Darwin Bench that you liked enough for two nights was here near the red arrow in image below?

W. Darwin Canyon w. Arrow.png

I have not camped on the Bench yet so was wondering about this spot as the topo looks good for a possible flat spot with a vast view out west over Evolution Valley, etc. However, it could all just be rocks too!

Thanks again for all the details in your report. More to come I hope.

Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks so much for the report! I'll be following in some of your footsteps next week, so I appreciate hearing about current conditions. Like others, I too would love to see photos if you can make the time to add them.
waggo85
Topix Newbie

Post by waggo85 »

@fviolich I do not have experience with crampons and an ice axe, but my understanding is they aren’t as effective in soft, wet snow. Didn’t seem like there was an icy layer beneath to find greater purchase. We never encountered snow we couldn’t easily kick in steps with our trail runners.

@michaelzim thanks for the photo tips. They should be forthcoming soon! We camped much closer to the lake shore, just north of the lake’s south outlet. It was a very fine place to camp, but if you found a dry and flat spot further down into Darwin’s Bench that would even more stunning. We did not see an obvious spot, but weren’t really looking. There were also nice spots on the isthmus between lakes in Darwin Canyon. Personally, I’d be surprised that the spot you pointed out would actually be suitable for camping - most likely rocky and slanted, and some work to scout out, but you never know!
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thanks for the nice report ! Excellent photos, and the narrative is very informative.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks for the report. I did the same loop years ago and let me tell you, Alpine Col looks a lot better with all that snow. You missed out on a talus slog!

We also went on the west side of Lake 11910 and should have used the east side.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
C-level
Topix Acquainted

Post by C-level »

Great report and photos are incredible, thanks for the valuable information. I'm heading that way and always wondering about snowpack and crossings. Thanks again for the report
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for sharing! Excellent story and photos.
rodfrogfarkler
Topix Novice

Post by rodfrogfarkler »

Fabulous! I have been over Lamarck a few times and into Evolution from Darwin. Hoping to go in a couple of weeks - perhaps the remaining tricky portions of snow will be gone by mid September. Might exit via Alpine, but not sure it's doable with other members of the party who might not relish it. Thank you for the great report.