Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
wvbrad
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

Post by wvbrad »

Hi,

Planning on entering Rush Creek on Tuesday to do a loop out to Garnet/1000 Island Lakes, up to Donohue, off trail to Kuna Saddle, down to Helen Lake, up Parker Pass trail back to Rush Creek. Planned 6 days, 5 nights.
I know it's clear to the lakes, and probably a decent boot track up to Donohue, but the conditions of the off trail to Kuna Saddle are unknown. The Sentinel snow images in CalTopo dont look terrible, but certainly snowy. I have experience in the Sierras and some snow travel. We'll have microspikes, poles and axes, but that's it.
Anyone with info up there? Any alternate routes for 4-6 days in that area one would recommend?
Thanks a ton for any help!!! Coming from Va and want to maximize our trip!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Donohue to Kuna Saddle to Parker Pass?

Post by c9h13no3 »

There's already a break in the snowfields to the north, where you could likely downclimb class 2-3 rock if you really want. Assuming you have some self arrest experience, as long as you don't cross it when it is super cold, windy and in the shade I wouldn't sweat it. Personally, I wouldn't take an axe or spikes.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I don't have current information, but I have done this hike many times when free of snow. It's one of my favorite areas in the Sierra. The traverse from Donohue Pass (actually, leave the trail about 1/4 mile north of the pass at about 10,800 feet) over to the basin of Kuna Creek and then Kuna Creek Pass is all on gentle slopes of granite slabs, meadows, and dirt - a literal "walk in the park" when there is no snow. The only steep part is going down the north side of Kuna Crest Pass to Helen Lake. In snow-free times, it is composed of large but stable talus. There are some decent campsites at the large lake at 10,800 feet on Kuna Creek with outstanding views across to Mt. Lyell.
-Phil
wvbrad
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wvbrad »

wildhiker wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:24 pm I don't have current information, but I have done this hike many times when free of snow. It's one of my favorite areas in the Sierra. The traverse from Donohue Pass (actually, leave the trail about 1/4 mile north of the pass at about 10,800 feet) over to the basin of Kuna Creek and then Kuna Creek Pass is all on gentle slopes of granite slabs, meadows, and dirt - a literal "walk in the park" when there is no snow. The only steep part is going down the north side of Kuna Crest Pass to Helen Lake. In snow-free times, it is composed of large but stable talus. There are some decent campsites at the large lake at 10,800 feet on Kuna Creek with outstanding views across to Mt. Lyell.
-Phil
Wild Hiker,

Great info. The camp at 10800 N of Donohue had been seconded by others and in Skurka's YHR. Looks like it is melting fast up there, so the decent to Helen might open up even more. thanks again. Glad to hear this is one of your favs- I've been looking at this route for 2+ years and when this massive snow year came, I wasn't sure it would go. Feeling better about it !
thanks, Brad