Tuolumne->Happy Isle or 1000 Island Lake area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mildandgreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tuolumne->Happy Isle or 1000 Island Lake area

Post by mildandgreen »

I'm planning a trip in about 2 weeks and am trying to decide between the following 2 options. These choices were definitely influenced by the goal of avoiding significant snow this year - no high passes. Aiming for 30-40 miles (3 nights)

Option 1: Tuolumne Meadows over the pass to Merced Lake (probably jaunt up to Washburn lake) -and down the Merced River to Yosemite Valley

Option 2: some sort of loop around 1000 island lake area - either from Devil's postpile area or Rush Creek depending on available permits. Probably would include Minaret Lakes.

Any thoughts about the beauty of one vs the other - and current conditions to consider?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Tuolumne->Happy Isle or 1000 Island Lake area

Post by c9h13no3 »

In the summer, the cooler temperatures and lack of car shuttle make the 1000 Island Lake area a slam dunk IMO. But it does have some scenic areas that are harder to access with the snow this year.

You can day hike the scenic parts of the Valley from the Valley, when it isn't 100 degrees.

Clearly solitude is not something you care about :P
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mildandgreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne->Happy Isle or 1000 Island Lake area

Post by mildandgreen »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:35 pm In the summer, the cooler temperatures and lack of car shuttle make the 1000 Island Lake area a slam dunk IMO. But it does have some scenic areas that are harder to access with the snow this year.

You can day hike the scenic parts of the Valley from the Valley, when it isn't 100 degrees.

Clearly solitude is not something you care about :P
Normally I'm drawn to more solitude- but the options are dramatically restricted this year without hiking in snow, and I figured maybe it was a good year to see some of the spectacular but busier areas.

Thanks - good point about the heat in lower elevations in Yosemite.