Connector in the Silver Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giulia
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Connector in the Silver Divide

Post by giulia »

Hi!
I just obtained some permits from Deer Lake trailhead and I'm putting together a 40ish mile route for two weeks from now. Sentinel shows there's still some snow in the area, but I'm hopeful for our Aug 11th start. I have cross-county backpacked in the Sierra several times preferring routes in the class 2 range - is there a connection between Big Margaret lake and Beetlebug lake that is in the class 2 range?
I'm including an image from RideWithGPS of the area and a link to the HST Map of the same
beadbug.png
HST Map

I have looked on Secor but in the Silver Divide section I didn't find anything that fit. Any suggestions?
Many thanks!
Giulia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Connector in the Silver Divide

Post by mschnaidt »

I've been through the pass between the Beetlebug Lake drainage and the headwaters of Silver Creek in July 2016. It's class 2-3. I named it Never Again Notch. I approached it from Anne Lake and crossed the ridge at about 3400 meters. The talus was loose up there, big and dangerous, hence the name.

After struggling and a few rides on large chunks of talus, we dropped some elevation, crossed a snowbank and then ascended in the smaller talus. That was safer and easier but still nasty. Here is a pic from the Beetlebug side (notch upper center).
Never Again Notch.jpg
and here is one looking back from the Silver Creek side (notch is upper left).
Looking Back at Never Again Notch.jpg
The hike down from the notch to Big Margaret has a fair amount of obstacles. Stay high on the ridge north of the creek for easier travel. Big Margaret is pretty amazing and the fishing was electric for 10in rainbows.
Evening at Big Margaret.jpg
Enjoy!

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.