Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

Post by cgundersen »

Frano,

OK, good luck on that expedition. Not to be in the desultory camp, but CameronM alluded to the abundance of moisture in the upper Lakes basin and that fuels some of the most impressive bug swarms I've encountered in the Sierra. Whatever works for you to blunt the pests, make sure you're prepared. The scenic elements and flower bloom should provide some compensation, and we have gotten relief by selecting elevated campsites, like that pond that sits a third of the way up to Dumbbell pass which has direct views down to Marion Lake. Cameron
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

I am very curious about this as well. We had a grand plan to go up Taboose Pass on Aug.12, then over Cartridge Pass into Lake Basin, with an exit over Vernacher Col to complete the loop. Unfortunately we got a little intimidated by the current conditions so we have a backup plan to explore Blackcap Basin out of Courtright Reservoir, but our first choice is still Lake Basin if we can safely get in there.

Our biggest concerns were crossing the SF Kings River, and the northside of Cartridge Pass. So is it safe to cross the SF Kings now? (near Taboose Creek) Also would love to hear any reports about Cartridge Pass. And I have no idea what Vernacher Col will be like.

Whichever option we choose I know the mosquitos will be treacherous...
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

a facebook or reddit JMT group may be more likely to have up to the minute sf kings reports.

if the JMT crossing looks sketch, you could always follow the use trail on the east side of the kings into upper basin where the crossing will almost certainly be easier. it's a well defined use trail (it even shows up on caltopo).
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

frozenintime: Yes I follow a Sierra Hiking Conditions group on FB and I did read about the route you mentioned.

I have heard zilch about Cartridge...
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

if lake basin feels too unknown or sketchy to your group, upper basin alone is a glorious spot to roam around, as is bench lake and the area southwest of it, all of which is melted out on the most recent sentinel imagery. this would be a great trip in and of itself.

blackcap is also wonderful but bench/lake basin/upper basin/etc is closer to the beating heart of the range, in my opinion.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Yeah, the biggest issue for me with Blackcap is the long hike through dense forest to get there. And I agree about Lake/Upper basin being the heart of the range, although that area just east of Blackcap over LeConte Divide looks quite beautiful, especially Blue Canyon and Goddard canyon...
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Thanks Cameron for the bug warning. That pond by Dumbbell sounds lovely. Coincidentally, my niece texted that her sister-in-law was surfing through HST and recognized fviolich so she put me in touch with her. She headed out Taboose Thursday, planning to either navigate the SF Kings (sounds like 2 miles east of the JMT is crossable) OR going to Bench Lake and finding a place to cross SF Kings there before going up Cartridge and into Lake Basin. She returns 8/11 and said she'd call with a full report. Stay tuned. Love this expanded HST Community!
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Out of curiosity, why wouldnt you enter via Taboose?
mazamabill
Topix Newbie

Post by mazamabill »

Fviolich wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:21 am Thanks Cameron for the bug warning. That pond by Dumbbell sounds lovely. Coincidentally, my niece texted that her sister-in-law was surfing through HST and recognized fviolich so she put me in touch with her. She headed out Taboose Thursday, planning to either navigate the SF Kings (sounds like 2 miles east of the JMT is crossable) OR going to Bench Lake and finding a place to cross SF Kings there before going up Cartridge and into Lake Basin. She returns 8/11 and said she'd call with a full report. Stay tuned. Love this expanded HST Community!
So has she reported back to you regarding Taboose? Thanks.
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Yes I have a report. Only one of the group of 5 had crampons, the others had spikes, so they decided instead of going up Cartridge they would spend the time exploring upper basin similar to frozentime’s alternate suggestion. They ran into a ranger and someone on the trail who concurred w the decision, thought it was better to do UB considering conditions although neither had been up to Cartridge. As of this writing 8/15 I see reports of snow flurries over the weekend and monsoon conditions in the area so we’ll stay frosty and follow natures lead. Either way I’ll report back once we get off the trail after Labor Day. We hit the trail 8/18. Frano