Winds - Angel Pass vs. Fall Creek Pass

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
marquiri
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Winds - Angel Pass vs. Fall Creek Pass

Post by marquiri »

Hi all,

We are planning a trip out of Elkhart Park for late August. We'll be heading to the Golden Lakes area, then down to Europe Canyon, and returning via either Baldy Pass or Chain Lakes. I have WD's book, and am wondering if anyone has any advisc on Angel Pass vs. Fall Creek Pass (coming from the East/South). My understanding is that Fall Creek is the easier of the two. We have limited experience with passes in the Winds, having only done the unnamed pass from Lake Donna into Bonneville Basin last year. It was slow going, but we didn't find it particularly difficult. I've been told that Angel Pass from the East is quite steep, and the main difficulty comes from the route finding. A couple in my group would prefer to avoid exposure if possible. Can anyone share any advise from prior experience? Thank you everyone.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winds - Angel Pass vs. Fall Creek Pass

Post by robertseeburger »

I have been over Angel Pass but not Fall Creek Pass. Commenting on Angel Pass, it is really not too difficult if you have done normal class 2 cross country passes in the sierras. Angel Pass has talus on the east side, and it is a little bit steep, but it is short and really not too bad. On the west side, you can avoid any class 3 by working in between ledges and slabs. I actually think the west side is trickier than the east.

I have heard also that Fall Creek Pass is easier, but I have not done it and chose Angel Pass because it was a direct route.

I would guess WD will reply when she gets out. I believe she is in the Winds now.
marquiri
Topix Newbie

Post by marquiri »

Thanks so much for the reply. I don't know why, but I flipped my directions. We'll be coming from the West, and my understanding is that while the West is the trickier side, the route finding is easier going up than coming down.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Just to make it easier..here are three photos of angel pass.
one from the top, one from the east side looking up at the talus, and one looking west to cook lakes.
angel pass - 1 (1).jpeg
angel pass - 1.jpeg
angel pass - 1 (2).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rvKsFCyybEp
Topix Newbie

Post by rvKsFCyybEp »

Done both. Fall Creek is a walk over. Broad grassy approaches both sides with no talus. Not that Angel is hard, but Fall Creek is a piece of cake. Angel is much easier W to E to avoid getting occasionally cliffed out on the way down.
marquiri
Topix Newbie

Post by marquiri »

[quote=rvKsFCyybEp post_id=179535 time=1690582073 user_id=42319]
Done both. Fall Creek is a walk over. Broad grassy approaches both sides with no talus. Not that Angel is hard, but Fall Creek is a piece of cake. Angel is much easier W to E to avoid getting occasionally cliffed out on the way down.
[/quote]

How is the exposure on the way up going W to E?
rvKsFCyybEp
Topix Newbie

Post by rvKsFCyybEp »

There is no exposure on Fall Creek pass. We are talking grassy slopes. There is some exposure on the W of Angel but the ledges are quite wide. I personally do not like exposure and I was never nervous going from W to E on Angel because you can wind your way up the various wide ramps. The large talus and boulders on the E side of Angle were annoying, but manageable.