Help with lake Florence trailhead itinerary

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Help with lake Florence trailhead itinerary

Post by Ultrajen »

I have permits to enter through Florence lake late august. We were going to go into evolution valley but that’s out with the bridge out. So now I’m looking for some help because I don’t know this area well. We have 3 full days and a half day. We are both in shape but looking for a moderate trip as we haven’t put packs on in a year. Do we go north towards Selden? Maybe set up base camp and day trip to Lake Italy and Granite Park depending on conditions. West towards Piute? Someone suggested Goddard canyon cross country loop but I’m not sure what he even meant. Would love your best ideas. Original plan was mineral king loop but permits were cancelled due to road.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Help with lake Florence trailhead itinerary

Post by thegib »

Yes to Sallie Keyes and Selden pass. I'd recommend aiming for Vee lake, it's much more beautiful than lake Italy. If you're off-trail enthusiasts you could go from Vee lake over Seven Gables pass descending circuitously along Gemini's long SW ridge to the drainage between Mt Senger and Turret peak which drops you right back onto your trail out. Or the reverse.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

https://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_04-P-22.html

Just four days does not allow many options given a preference for a "moderate trip" especially since you mentioned "base camping". From Florence Lake hike up the JMT/PCT Selden Pass trail and camp at one of the lakes south of the pass enjoying exploring that zone after making camp. Second day, cross the pass, then go off trail around the east side of Marie Lake, then cross the rib east at 10520+ to reach Sandpiper within timberline for camping and then day exploring the many upper lakes or climbing Seven Gable with its spectacular views. Third morning camp along east side of Marie Lake. Fourth day hike back out over Selden Pass. Does not require any difficult stream crossings or challenging cross country.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.2966 ... 7&z=15&b=t
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

Flexible whether we set up a camp and go farther without packs or keep the packs just depends if it ends up being an out and back or loop option. I am just faster without a pack. Good options so far thank you!

By moderate I meant hours per day. Miles per day obviously changes with terrain. I’m an ultrarunner,but put a pack on me and it’s a different story. My 20 yo is strong. 8 - 15 mile days depending on terrain I’d consider reasonable.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I guess options also depend, partly, on which day your half day is. Is it the exit day, or is it the entry day?

Be that as it may since, others have given you some of the best options heading north via Selden Pass, I'll chime in with suggestions to the south. I guess I'm thinking to exploit your Florence take off to visit places for which a Florence take-off is optimal versus Bear Creek (which might be a better entry for Bear Basin/Vee Lake/Italy sort of stuff) or other entry points. This makes me think of Goddard Canyon to Martha plus or minus Davis. The "loop" would (probably) be to hop over the low divide between Davis Lakes and Wanda/Evolution creek, then return to Florence via Evolution. The Piute and/or Humphreys Basin/Glacier Divide options are fine, but those are so much easier to access from the east side that it seems a shame to expend so much effort to get there from Florence. In contrast, Florence is the most convenient entry to get you into Goddard Canyon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

The OP wanted to avoid crossing Evolution creek, so accessing Martha or Davis would be challenging unless I misunderstand.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

I missed the Evolution Creek part but I think by late August the runoff situation will be more manageable and crossing of Evolution Creek becomes more viable. We still have a ton snow up there but it is in fact melting fast, with the runoff progressively decreasing, so if we add a month, I think many stream crossings will play a bit more "normal" but I could be wrong. From Monday 7/17 to Thursday 7/20 I saw a fairly dramatic reduction in flow at the outlet of Lake Vernon (bridge over Falls Creek) and these flows were in turn less than those of June 2. Even if we consider the higher headwater regions which are still snowbound, Falls Creek is a much lower elevation drainage than Evolution/S. Fork San Joaquin, so we expect a later peak runoff and more persistent high flows (ie later into the year) for the latter. However, one month at this time of year is a very long time in terms of melting snow.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I just know the San Joaquin bridge is out on PCT south. But looks possible to go South via Goddard Canyon. I’ve done a lot of that are from the East so Piute is out. Florence permits were just what I could get when I realized Mineral King wasn’t going to open.

We should be able to get up to that area Wednesday night. Sunday we need to be hike out pretty early to get home for work Monday :((

Another question . . . The shuttle connects one some of the other trailheads and Florence? That could help. I just mapped it. This trailhead is wayyyyy out there.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I don’t see bear creek as an entry only bear diversion or bear ridge.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

OK with those bridges out, I'd say the southern options (ie Goddard Cyn etc) don't look as promising, even in late August. When I mentioned Bear Creek, it's Bear Creek Diversion dam. This means 4WD to get to the actual TH itself otherwise one starts hiking from the junction of the diversion dam road and the Edison road (my dad and I did this in 1988 headed for Lou Beverly Lake on day 1). So, with that said, I think the Selden Pass options are best if you stick with a Florence entry. There is quite a bit of wandering one can do with those options, especially if you like off trail backpacking, but even on-trail (or on well-used unofficial trail) alternatives mentioned are attractive.