Anyone been to S.W. Evolution lakes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Anyone been to S.W. Evolution lakes?

Post by michaelzim »

The lakes in question are south-west of Evolution Valley above the bench and just east of Emerald Peak. None have names, just numbers. Here's a screenshot of them:

S.W. Evolution Lakes.JPG

I have a loop trip planned in early September over Lamarck Col to McGee Lakes then back onto the PCT to the Palisades Basin and Bishop Pass. I'm looking to add a little more 'spice' to the trip with some X-country to somewhere a bit remote. These lakes looked potentially promising as I bet not many people visit them.
Has anyone been to them?
Are they worth going to?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks much ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Re: Anyone been to S.W. Evolution lakes?

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I think I read a TR from Rogue going in this area, but I don't think it was posted to HST.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

I'm pretty sure Tehipite Tom led a Sierra Club Trip into that area. I think he thought the area was worth visiting.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

10918a.jpg
I guided about a half dozen bros up from 9200+ on Evolution Creek up the steep forested section just left west of topo point 10406 on a 10-day 2005 backpack from Florence.
Text from my trip log showing 2005 trips.

153 2 5-15>16-05 Cr ne of Golden Throne
154 3 7-15>17-05 Sq nw of Rainbow Mountain
155 10 7-29>8-7-05 JmKc SF San Joaquin, l 10544, l McGee L, Darwin Bench
156 6 8-15>20-05 Aa Thousand Island L, Nydiver L, Shadow Cr

Some were not happy at times doing that steep 1000 foot, careful small scale route finding, obstacle course, with monkey fun, but in the end, we all had smiles meeting the challenge! Cause now we were up into where there at least in our era, were some places with amazing golden trout. So yeah, we visited 3 of the 4 large lakes on our way sampling the country en-route, traversing into base camping at McGee Lakes. We might have camped that night at the 10400+ meadow with a pond as some were quite dead puppies. So after setting up camp along that meadow and napping, all went upstream through forest and glacial bedrock to fish lake 10554 and don't yet recall anything about those that might have gone to 10918 with its permanent glacial lake inflow that is more likely to have largest fish on these benches. A place worth base camping at.

In the morning, leaving from 10400+ was close to the efficient traverse route east. Recall trout were not so large (?) so the group was intent on getting a nicely early pack up at sunrise start traversing the canyon benches at my favorite time of day. Didn't spend much time at lake 10700+ because vaguely recall it was shallow, alpine swamp, reedy. So then rotated around crossing the 10640+ saddle while not stopping to climb the 200 feet of uphill to look at or fish lake 10865. That was because from there one can look east across the final canyon to the idyllic McGee Lakes basin that the rest were all too eager to experience that much sooner. We base camped 2 nights at the 2 ponds west of lake 10816. And note, there is also another lake bench along the canyon, holding lake 11140 that also has a permanent water supply even during worst drought years, important for over-wintering fish.

What I recall most from that fun trip was:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks for replies and particularly your details @SSSdave.
Oh yes, the fish...I don't fish and my hiking buddy due for the trip is a vegan, so if we check this place out it will be for the "Sierra aesthetics" - which it sounds like it may have worthy of a look! Does seem to be on the 'road less traveled'.
If anyone else has gone up there would still appreciate any additional feedback.

Thanks! ~ Michaelzim
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I passed through once, crossed from lake 10865 to lake 10918 and 10554. The western descent was ledges with some tree obstacles, time consuming looking for ways to keep it easy, but it went well. I thought it was a lovely region, one I'd certainly return to - but I was there to climb Emerald from the west and only the climbing stuck in my memory. I seem to remember thinking the stream between 10918 and 10554 was exceptionally pretty and had a special feeling of quietness. This year it's fording Evolution creek that'll be hairy.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I've only been to 10865 of this group (see trip report here: https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... 00#p159000) and it's lovely. I'd certainly recommend it as a stopover if you're designing an off-trail route to reach more remote sections of the area.

There's also this report by CAMERONM from 2021 and his route passes through multiple lakes in this area: https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=21762
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Count me as another person who has been to a couple of the lakes.
I went to 10554 and 10918 in 2011, camping at 10554. On the good side, it certainly had the feel of a very isolated location in sierras and that had great appeal. I wouldn't characterize the scenery as anything special....kind of stark underneath Emerald Peak..dark and perhaps bland.

I have also been to 10865 in 2017.. it is a beautiful lake. I remember I posted a picture of it in a TR . It was frozen.
I liked the view going across it the Sierra crest.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Hey, more thanks for the added replies here.

Looks like a worthy destination for an overnight at 10865 at least - on the way out down from McGee Lakes to Evolution Valley. Then a day hike over "Emerald Pass" perhaps for a look see.
This could be another case of "best laid plans for mice and men" as goodness knows what the conditions will be like in mid September (aka, "the equivalent of mid-July" v. drier years). However, these lakes offer a great flex diversion option from my main planned route which will no doubt vary in reality v. my maps at home! One obvious variable will be crossing Evolution Creek...Mmmmmm.

Thanks again! ~ Michaelzim