Looking for Italy Pass and Lake Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for Italy Pass and Lake Information

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @iluka, I want to echo a point suggested above... I would strongly suggest you avoid the southern shore of Italy Lake. Back in 2016, I made the mistake of taking the southern shore and it was terrible annoying talus. Here's my 2016 TR link.
iluka
Topix Novice

Post by iluka »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Living and doing most of my mountain travel now in the Pacific Northwest, it's hard to have a good sense of the conditions down in the Sierra where I used to spend a lot of time. I greatly appreciate all of the information.

Based on what I've heard here and read elsewhere since, I think I'm going to opt for a different route that involves all trail, albeit a few passes to get over -- McGee Creek to Mosquito Flats via McGee, Silver and Mono Passes. We're slated to depart on 8/10 so hopefully some more melt by then and a bit more manageable stream crossings.

Thanks again for the help!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

iluka writes:
Based on what I've heard here and read elsewhere since, I think I'm going to opt for a different route that involves all trail, albeit a few passes to get over -- McGee Creek to Mosquito Flats via McGee, Silver and Mono Passes. We're slated to depart on 8/10 so hopefully some more melt by then and a bit more manageable stream crossings.
Also fantastic country! Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

p.s. We are dead keen to explore the Olympics, and North Cascades, so if you have any sage advice, or can show pictures of your favorite places up there, we would be grateful. E.g., "The Pickets" look fantastic!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
iluka
Topix Novice

Post by iluka »

Well, if you're looking for some great places to explore, the North Cascades and Olympics offer some awesome options. Here's a little eye candy from traverses in the North Cascades and Olympics:

North Cascades
Northern Picketts Traverse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fHCo1bGuu8JRYCwcA
Dakobed Traverse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ktgeY8eR9KyVY857

Olympics
Bailey Range Traverse: https://goo.gl/photos/BdhZHsdcbB8wG53NA

Beware of the fact that off-trail travel up in these parts is a far different ballgame than in the Sierra. Far fewer open basins with easy navigation where talus and scree hopping is your main issue and way more on the bushwhacking front which can range anywhere from minor to heinous (http://www.alpenglow.org/themes/subalpi ... tings.html). That being said, the rewards of the difficult off trail travel are high and there is a ton of great and varied terrain up here and plenty of options for travel entirely on trail.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

iluka wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:09 am Hi,

I have a trip planned to the Sierra Nevada for a few weeks from now and was trying to find a few pieces of information. The plan is to come up Pine Creek, move over Italy Pass down to Italy Lake then down to the JMT, over Selden Pass and eventually take Piute and French Canyon over Pine Creek Pass and out. The two questions I'm trying to sort out are:

1) Snow conditions including around Italy Pass, Selden Pass and the route from Italy Lake down to the JMT

2) The nature of route is like from Italy Pass down to Italy Lake. My partner is not comfortable traveling on talus and I'm trying to gather some info on this section to guage whether it's feasible. Is there some reasonable climbers path in there or is this largely a scree and talus field?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
When you first descend from Italy Pass toward Italy Lake, there is not a trail. However, it is easy cross-country travel, with little to no talus. Take the easiest path down (to your right or straight down). As you approach Jumble Lake, you will find the trail by Jumble Lake. If you don't find the trail by Jumble Lake, you will be a maze of talus. The trail isn't hard to find once you get near the talus. Once you leave the well-defined trail past Jumble Lake, the trail is not so distinct, but stick to the easiest way down. While going past Lake Italy, you may encounter some snowfields, some that will dump you in the lake if you slip and fall. We went up and over at least one of the snowfields, but went through a couple of them. Have fun.
mazamabill
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mazamabill »

Any word on the snow conditions going over Italy Pass? We will probably be closing east to west on Aug 26 or 27. Thanks.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

I (heart) this area. I would suggest travel into here only if you have the correct equipment for your experience (and a working understanding of how to use it)(equipment meaning all the everything necessary for safe travel and camping).

I'll not tell you how it was 1, 2, 5 year ago cause conditions this year are not "normal." Last year's conditions do not reflect current conditions. WE ALL SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS, THIS YEAR.

That being said. Here's the Sentinel image from 8/14/23. Check out those frozen lakes!
Definitely snow in NORTH aspects at elevations above 10,000 feet. Lakes in Granite Park, adjacent to the crest (Treasure Mtn Benchmark, Royce Pass, and Granite Bear Pass) side of the valley are still frozen. Snow abound above Honeymoon Lake.

I'm sure that the streams are flowing! (NOTE: Areas that are FULL WHITE are CLOUDS.) This image is a window into Pine Creek drainage, Granite Park, and Lake Italy. French Canyon is visible. There are clouds, and have been for the past several days in this area.
Screenshot(23).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

iluka wrote:
Well, if you're looking for some great places to explore, the North Cascades and Olympics offer some awesome options. Here's a little eye candy from traverses in the North Cascades and Olympics:

North Cascades
Northern Picketts Traverse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fHCo1bGuu8JRYCwcA
Dakobed Traverse: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ktgeY8eR9KyVY857

Olympics
Bailey Range Traverse: https://goo.gl/photos/BdhZHsdcbB8wG53NA
Thanks a lot for all of the contributions above. That is a great introduction to Washington mountains that we are interested in. Congratulations on your fine trips and climbs. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.