Wind River 12 days 7-3-23 to 7-14-23

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rvKsFCyybEp
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wind River 12 days 7-3-23 to 7-14-23

Post by rvKsFCyybEp »

Robert. Many trips to the Winds, but never on the Res. We are headed to the Res in August. How is the trail from St Lawrence to Sonnicant? Downfall? The crossings seemed manageable. Thanks for any heads up.
Art
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

rvKsFCyybEp wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:20 pm Robert. Many trips to the Winds, but never on the Res. We are headed to the Res in August. How is the trail from St Lawrence to Sonnicant? Downfall? The crossings seemed manageable. Thanks for any heads up.
Art
The trail from St. Lawrence to Sonnicant is very good. There is minimal downfall.
It is important to take the higher trail..not the one that goes low via Movo Lake. The lower trail is not maintained after Movo Lake and there is a lot of deadfall and hard to follow. Also if you use the USGS topo map, it is wrong. You just need to be careful with navigation, but if you stay on the main trail to Sonnicant you are fine.

The other consideration is the road to St. Lawrence. It is a long way in, and while I have done it three times without any difficulty, I have heard stories of washouts after heavy rain. I think normal times it is ok, but if it has rained a lot in recent days it can be difficult.
rvKsFCyybEp
Topix Newbie

Post by rvKsFCyybEp »

Thank you
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Think I missed you by a day near Sweetwater Gap. After 2 trips I am in Pinedale and going to hang out at GRL CG for a few days and fish the river. Monsoon rains have begun- I expect to get wet. A few days ago I got hit by a hailstorm- size if mothballs- thought my tent would be ripped apart. All ended well though.

Your trip report is great- such good photos with the clear air and lingering snow.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

WD.. looking forward to your trip reports! Would have been great if we had somehow met up..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Well, I missed you by 2-3 days, not one. I just posted a trip report. You did a lot better fishing than I did.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Well I finally read your report in detail. The large fish I have caught in some of those lakes were Yellowstone Cutthroat, not golden. They look similar. Did you catch any? Congratulations on such a successful trip! You deserve it after last year.

I am finally getting my trip reports done. I just posted two. You certainly did better fishing than I did. I am now thinking I should have gone earlier like you did. The rain did not let up later- in fact I was rained out for a while.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

They have planted Tigers in the southern Winds. They put Tigers in Cow Lake. A kind of roadside pond near Fiddler Lake and at nearby U Silas Lake. Likely others. Either way kudos on the catch. I've only caught them at Boulder Mountain UT.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Whatever species you caught, they were GIANT! I just punished myself with a return to peruse this great report... I just wish you hadn't caught such big fish. Sadly, Ian of the minnows. ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.