Wind River 12 days 7-3-23 to 7-14-23

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wind River 12 days 7-3-23 to 7-14-23

Post by robertseeburger »

I missed one trout picture in my reply.
I have never caught a trout that looks like this.
Since I caught both brookies and lake in this lake, I assume it is a hybrid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

robertseeburger wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am a hybrid.
Tiger trout (brown x brook)?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

What an absolutely crazy progression of monster fish photos. I was going to post a lame Newfoundland report that just had brush, waterfalls, and helicopters (and no fish--only aquatic animal is a whale) but doing that now would be like shooting a layup after Vince Carter just went off in the dunking line. Regarding the odd looking hybrid, that looks like photos I've seen of the tiger trout (brown x brookie as noted by Jeff) that are occasionally planted into lakes (they are sterile). I think splakes (brookie x laker crosses) look different. Examples I've seen in photos of splakes commonly shade more toward the lake trout coloration but with brighter colored fins.

9 hours is still significant additional driving time, to me, partly because I wouldn't like the idea of driving 9 hours anywhere (let alone 15). I recall my alltime longest drive was about 9 hours (I think this was Berkeley to Spokane) and I swore I'd never do it again. That said, when I retire, I may change my thinking (and take two days to drive out there).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

TahoeJeff wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am
robertseeburger wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am a hybrid.
Tiger trout (brown x brook)?
I think your right its a tiger trout. I live in Arizona now and have seen a few. Beautiful fish.

Texan
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Well I will add a Tiger Trout to the list of trout I have caught.
A new first for me.

The weird thing is..were they planted as tiger trout? Doesn't seem likely. So that would mean that there are brown trout in an unnamed lake
at 10400 feet in the middle of nowhere in the winds.. That doesn't seem likely either. One of life's mysteries I guess.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Fantastic trip Robert and friends! Congrats on the fishing and hiking success-- 7 days alone!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Post by RiseToADry »

Those cutthroat are amazing fish. Pretty interesting itinerary concept - to camp at that main lake and just day hike to all the surrounding ones, of which there are a lot! The most appealing part must be not having to pack your pack every morning. The downside is the creek crossings. :)

As for the second half of this thread... that's definitely a Tiger Trout. I've caught them here in AZ and also in Utah. The Utah fish and game likes to stock them in lakes for a couple reasons. They put them in lakes where natural reproduction is not possible and there is a lot of food available, because Tiger Trout are sterile they do not waste energy attempting to spawn and focus entirely on eating, so they have a propensity to get quite large. They are also piscivorous like brown trout so they are fairly good at thinning out over populated brookie lakes, if they can get big enough.

They are a true franken-fish - I feel a little odd fishing for and catching them myself - but to each their own.
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Post by oddtiger »

Wow, that's such an amazing trip and congrats on the monster fish. Thank you for sharing this. I am hoping to take kids back to the Winds for another trip when they give up on their summer camps...
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Cocktail rock looks like a pretty awesome spot for happy hour and sunsets.

thanks for posting
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Outstanding adventure and incredible fishing. Thanks as always for sharing the adventure.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead