Feedback for Westfall Meadow to Ostrander Lake loop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Feedback for Westfall Meadow to Ostrander Lake loop?

Post by marmotsgalore »

Hi, I am planning a weekend backpacking trip and would like some feedback.

The route is a Westfall Meadow -> Ostrander Lake loop, map here: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/m ... 23-7eb5ac3

Day before:

Drive to Yosemite Valley backpacker's campground and stay the night

Day 1:

Pick up permit from YV wilderness center

Hike to and camp at Ostrander Lake (~14 mi)

Day 2:

Hike back to trailhead (~6-7 mi)

Is there anything I'm missing or violating? This is my first time backpacking this area and I'm trying to make sure I'm following all the rules, such as picking up the permit in person and not backtracking onto any other trailhead besides when exiting.

This is also a route I haven't really seen done since most people start at Bridalveil or Ostrander trailhead, so that's another unknown factor.

Thank you.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Feedback for Westfall Meadow to Ostrander Lake loop?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Looks legit. The route goes through the 2017 Empire fire scar, and is pretty low elevation for mid-summer (hot). I expect that's why you haven't seen trip reports about the route previously.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

getting permit in YV and drive to glacier point road and hike 14 miles same day sounds pretty rough to be honest. but if you feel like that is what you want to do go for it. just make sure you are one of the first in line at the permit station...like get there just before 6am the latest. I usually shoot for 530 and it is common there there are one or two parties already there waiting at that time, but sometimes i would be first
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:38 pm Looks legit. The route goes through the 2017 Empire fire scar, and is pretty low elevation for mid-summer (hot). I expect that's why you haven't seen trip reports about the route previously.
Thank you that is good to know - I did not know about the fire. Went hiking in Desolation Wilderness the other weekend and it was hot as HECK so am anticipating the heat lol...
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

sparky wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:46 pm getting permit in YV and drive to glacier point road and hike 14 miles same day sounds pretty rough to be honest. but if you feel like that is what you want to do go for it. just make sure you are one of the first in line at the permit station...like get there just before 6am the latest. I usually shoot for 530 and it is common there there are one or two parties already there waiting at that time, but sometimes i would be first
Yeah it is not ideal... Unfortunately, we are a bit limited in options since I cannot take off work Friday.

Oh wow you get in line very early. It queues up that fast (pardon my cluelessness...)? We'll try to get there as early as we can.

Edit: We already have the permit and we're not doing walk in if that's why you were advising us to get there early?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

If you already have the permit reservation, you are not competing for the walkup permits, so just get to the office at a reasonable time in the morning. You do have to get your permit before 10 am or your reservation is canceled. You can also get your permit the day before if you can get to the Wilderness office before it closes at 5 pm.
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

wildhiker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:55 pm If you already have the permit reservation, you are not competing for the walkup permits, so just get to the office at a reasonable time in the morning. You do have to get your permit before 10 am or your reservation is canceled. You can also get your permit the day before if you can get to the Wilderness office before it closes at 5 pm.
Got it thank you for the clarification.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

I hiked from Bridalveil campgrounds to Deer Camp 3 years ago. I turned around after spending the night because there was no water in the creeks. You probably won't have that trouble this year. The trail was in good shape when I was there.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

I just got back from that area. I can tell you that it's going to be a bit of a grind from Westfall Meadow. First you will climb from Deer Creek to the intersection rather steeply with a lot of blow down and mud. There is blowdown EVERYWHERE. I am not exaggerating, by saying you will have to navigate 20+ downed trees. From the intersection 1 1/2 miles south of Deer Creek (you hang a left and cross a muddy bog), just remember to continue in the same diagonal direction to the pass, because there are so many blowdowns, you will lose the trail repeatedly. The area of the fire burn is slow going (at best). The trail is practically non-existent, and VERY hot. You cannot see where you are stepping so you are constantly tripping over rocks/logs and mud. There is no shade to speak of until you get to the creek crossing. There are a few creek crossings. I got wet in one, crossed rocks in the other, and climbed across a log for the third. I saw 3 bears in 3 days. 2 of the bears were right near the (rock water crossing).

Just remind yourself that this is fun!

When we hike Yosemite Valley/Glacier Point/Wawona, we always spend the night before our trip at a hotel in Chowchilla. From there, it's Starbucks at 5:30am, a straight shot into the park via Wawona entrance, where we make it to the hotel by 7:15. We have a good breakfast and walk right into the ranger station at 8am. We get our permits, and are hiking by 9am. It saves a ton of time navigating the parking lot and walking to the ranger station in the valley.

I will try and upload some pics for you.
Last edited by narc1370 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

Here's a few pics of our journey....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.