Feedback for Westfall Meadow to Ostrander Lake loop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Feedback for Westfall Meadow to Ostrander Lake loop?

Post by wildhiker »

@marmotsgalore, what are your planned trip dates? Why not just do the normal much shorter Ostrander Lake trail starting from Lost Bear Meadow? I see on recreation.gov that there are still many days in the next few weeks with wilderness permit advance reservation availability for this Ostrander Lake trailhead and there are still 10 "walkup" permits released for each day exactly one week in advance at 7 am Pacific time. So, for example, if your planned entry date was Saturday, August 5, you will see only 1 advance reservation permit still available in recreation.gov, BUT, on Saturday, July 29, at 7 am, 10 more permits will be released for reservation for August 5. Just be logged into recreation.gov and refresh a couple seconds after 7 am and you are very likely to get some of those permits. One consequence of the extreme snow pack this year is that many people who reserved wilderness permits in Yosemite months ago have cancelled those reservations. There seem to be lots of permits available, even for normally very popular trailheads (some of which are still very snowy!).
-Phil
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by marmotsgalore »

narc1370 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:40 pm I just got back from that area. I can tell you that it's going to be a bit of a grind from Westfall Meadow. First you will climb from Deer Creek to the intersection rather steeply with a lot of blow down and mud. There is blowdown EVERYWHERE. I am not exaggerating, by saying you will have to navigate 20+ downed trees. From the intersection 1 1/2 miles south of Deer Creek (you hang a left and cross a muddy bog), just remember to continue in the same diagonal direction to the pass, because there are so many blowdowns, you will lose the trail repeatedly. The area of the fire burn is slow going (at best). The trail is practically non-existent, and VERY hot. You cannot see where you are stepping so you are constantly tripping over rocks/logs and mud. There is no shade to speak of until you get to the creek crossing. There are a few creek crossings. I got wet in one, crossed rocks in the other, and climbed across a log for the third. I saw 3 bears in 3 days. 2 of the bears were right near the (rock water crossing).

Just remind yourself that this is fun!

When we hike Yosemite Valley/Glacier Point/Wawona, we always spend the night before our trip at a hotel in Chowchilla. From there, it's Starbucks at 5:30am, a straight shot into the park via Wawona entrance, where we make it to the hotel by 7:15. We have a good breakfast and walk right into the ranger station at 8am. We get our permits, and are hiking by 9am. It saves a ton of time navigating the parking lot and walking to the ranger station in the valley.

I will try and upload some pics for you.
Thank you this information is super helpful. Gosh sounds like y'all had quite the adventure out there... Hiked to Lake Aloha recently and the last mile and more to the lake was covered in snow, so it was very challenging and tiring slogging through the snow while trying to find the trail... All that to say I think I would like a more straightforward experience this time because that was not a fun time lol... We are planning on going in two weeks, so think we will try our luck when the next round of permits drop this weekend and find an alternate trip.
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

wildhiker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:15 pm @marmotsgalore, what are your planned trip dates? Why not just do the normal much shorter Ostrander Lake trail starting from Lost Bear Meadow? I see on recreation.gov that there are still many days in the next few weeks with wilderness permit advance reservation availability for this Ostrander Lake trailhead and there are still 10 "walkup" permits released for each day exactly one week in advance at 7 am Pacific time. So, for example, if your planned entry date was Saturday, August 5, you will see only 1 advance reservation permit still available in recreation.gov, BUT, on Saturday, July 29, at 7 am, 10 more permits will be released for reservation for August 5. Just be logged into recreation.gov and refresh a couple seconds after 7 am and you are very likely to get some of those permits. One consequence of the extreme snow pack this year is that many people who reserved wilderness permits in Yosemite months ago have cancelled those reservations. There seem to be lots of permits available, even for normally very popular trailheads (some of which are still very snowy!).
-Phil
We are planning to stay one night on August 5th actually! Unfortunately, the traditional trailhead is not available right now for that date, but yes, we decided to try and snag a permit this Saturday morning. Either the traditional trailhead for Ostrander or a different trip entirely (Coworker was recommending May Lake).
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Oops my bad, my head said you were getting in line for walk up permit for some reason. Probably because I never reserve permits and get everything walk up and have PTSD from the Yosemite que lol
marmotsgalore
Topix Novice

Post by marmotsgalore »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update. After hearing narc1370's account of his recent trip to the area, I decided to try my luck and get a permit for a different trailhead. Thankfully, I was able to get a permit for May Lake! I will post a trip report soon.
sgodgreeneyed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sgodgreeneyed »

Sounds like you had a real adventure out there. The grind from Westfall Meadow sounds like a real challenge