Obsession: Instant Indian Meals

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
OldMomHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Obsession: Instant Indian Meals

Post by OldMomHiker »

Hi all,

I'm lucky to have many international markets close to my home, and I regularly scour them for backpacking ingredients. Awhile back I discovered freeze-dried Indian meals. And they're $3!

You know how good a warm, well-spiced meal feels in the backcountry: When I tasted this Dal Makhani, I nearly died of happiness. So I'm sharing my find with you; I just don't want any of you to suffer through any more rehydrated beans and weak-ass mac and cheese that you hoped would be easier to choke down.

I repacked the contents in freezer Ziplocs and added some freeze-dried spinach and broccoli. My husband also added freeze-dried chicken. Add boiling water, let sit, and assume all the other hikers within a five-mile radius are quaking with jealousy.

Other brands like Deep make similar meals—also worth trying—but I have a soft spot for Haldiram's Dal Makhani.

Cheers,
Mom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Re: Obsession: Instant Indian Meals

Post by TahoeJeff »

Those look awesomely tasty.
What are the markets you are finding these at? Ever looked for them on line?
Edited to answer my own question:
https://www.ishopindian.com/Haldriams-I ... til-Curry/
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I can't tell if this is an incredibly stealthy ad, or a good recommendation. Either way, looks like a good alternative to the ramen & mashed potatoes I usually eat.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:31 am stealthy ad, or a good recommendation
She did an intro, so I figured the latter.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
OldMomHiker
Topix Novice

Post by OldMomHiker »

I don't work for them! I just enjoy the meals. Also this $4 coconut curry soup.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.