Convict Creek crossing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Convict Creek crossing

Post by jrad »

Anybody crossed Convict Creek this year as of mid-July? How is the crossing right now? Is high snow runoff seriously bad this year? That one crossing can be dangerous during high water and there are few if any alternatives at all. I fear to plan a trip from Mammoth Lakes down to Convict lake only to find I cannot exit at Convict lake!
heiterman
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Convict Creek crossing

Post by heiterman »

I was there July 14th and it looked pretty sketch. Instead, I decided to do a trip through HIlton lakes from rock creek lake down to crowley. While it wasn't the beta you were looking for, it may help you to relate to the water conditions right now. JHC, I wasn't thinking that Hilton creek would be a big deal, but I was very wrong. Thigh deep and moving fast with no possible go around. But unlike Convict, I needed to get across, so I did. I'm glad I turned around at Convict. The juice was not worth the squeeze.
heiterman
Topix Newbie

Post by heiterman »

I was local in Mammoth Lakes when this went down.

https://sierrawave.net/mono-sar/
zazazoe
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by zazazoe »

We came down convict lake on July 30 2023 after starting a hike at duck pass. We weren’t aware of the missing bridge, so this came as a bit of surprise to us. The water is definitely high and there is still snow/ice in places both over and next to the river. We managed to scramble our way further down the side of the river and found a place to cross where the topography flattens out for a bit. Getting down there is definitely sketchy in places and you have to be comfortable making your away across loose rocks. It was still a pretty serious river crossing at that point. It got actually a lot more mellow later on, but then again making your way down the river on the other side is slow and tricky in places.

We weren’t aware and turning back would have been our last resort since it would have added a solid day, but if you have the choice of an alternate route you might be better off. Again it depends on your skills en comfort levels with scrambles and river crossings.

Attaching a picture of the water levels at the missing bridge point to give a sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrad
Topix Acquainted

Post by jrad »

zazazoe ... Thanks! Excellent update. I might do solo but am taking 3 novice backpackers including a 9-yr-old. Too dangerous even by August 18 when we'd be there? Hard to say but rangers right now say it's very dangerous "Hands down" as they said 2 days ago (8/6).

We will exit down Laurel Lakes Road - interesting route anyway.

QUESTION: what route did you take over Mammoth Crest??? We are taking the route I described for Topix in 2015 - Bunny Lake Pass. Did you take that one? Corridor Pass? Gemini Pass?
leemur
Topix Novice

Post by leemur »

Thank you for the update. Two of us are planning on going into McGee and exiting Convict on 8/15/23. This is super helpful to know that the water level is that high. It's possible we'll also do like jrad and exit Laurel if it seems too sketchy. I assume this is the location of that washed out bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/Pout63avD6itgJze8
sgodgreeneyed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sgodgreeneyed »

Thank you for the update. Planning to be there soon
Hagbeard
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Hagbeard »

leemur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:22 pm Thank you for the update. Two of us are planning on going into McGee and exiting Convict on 8/15/23. This is super helpful to know that the water level is that high. It's possible we'll also do like jrad and exit Laurel if it seems too sketchy. I assume this is the location of that washed out bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/Pout63avD6itgJze8
That's the spot. The water is pretty high in the picture zazazoe posted, the rocks we stepped on last year to cross are fully covered.
jrad
Topix Acquainted

Post by jrad »

leemur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:22 pm
leemur - that is exactly the washout area.

If you do our route (we'll be exiting Friday 8/18) and need transport back to McGee, you might like to know all shuttles are booked but there is one option: call Mammoth Taxi for a pick up. Alas they do not drive Sherwin Creek Road (or ANY dirt roads) but would pick you up on the paved pullout onto Sherwin Creek Road right at 395 (it is just under a 1.5 mile flat walk the last stretch on Sherwin Creek Road).

Also, the cell reception off of Mammoth Mountain is excellent when in sight. So you could call the Taxi when you start down (we plan to give them a call next Friday as we start down the mountain or once we are onto Laurel Lakes Road). OR you could arrange a pick up.

They'd probably charge $75 to take you down to McGee. Alternately, you can, as I have done twice in earlier years, leave your vehicle at the base of Laurel Lakes Road (sort of a trail head with several pull-outs) and arrange the transport at the start down to McGee. That road up to Laurel Lakes is horrible (or fun) for any but very high clearance 4WD or dune buggy. I drove my 2WD Matrix once all of 1/4 mile up and parked. I could not get any further.