Bourland Meadow Trailhead - Emigrant Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Bourland Meadow Trailhead - Emigrant Wilderness

Post by levi »

Hmm appreciate the warning @Schleppy. I'll think on it. I've already hiked Crabtree to Pingree/Big, and the off-trail rambling to Hyatt from Bourland was part of the appeal. Two hours from 108 is certainly slow going. At least looking at the map it's ~3.5 miles total from the hairpin left onto 3N27 for a -> 3N16 -> Bourland trailhead (that's the correct way, right?) I was thinking of car camping at Hull Creek Campground the night before, since 3N01 to there looks easy from Long Barn, do the tough driving early morning. Can also ask my group what they prefer too, but the allure of a new trailhead to me is strong...
Schleppy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Schleppy »

levi wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 pm ...the off-trail rambling to Hyatt from Bourland was part of the appeal....the allure of a new trailhead to me is strong...
I can relate! Have fun, but bring a shovel, a real spare tire, and the right kind of friends. The drive is one thing but the route to Hyatt isn't the cakewalk some make it out to be. Difficulty and joy are both subjective and the hike will not be fun for those who aren't into that sort of thing. The last couple miles to Hyatt kinda suck. I dare say consider pants.
levi wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 pm it's ~3.5 miles total from the hairpin left onto 3N27 for a -> 3N16 -> Bourland trailhead (that's the correct way, right?)
Not familiar with 3N27. Took 3N1 to a rough hour on a rough 6 miles of 3N16. If the easier way pans out with your Volvo, please let me know.

Hope you have a good time!
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

Lol... with the mixed forecast in the coming days I'm considering altering course and hiking out of Kennedy Meadows instead. Don't wanna mess with 3N16 during weather. Maybe save Bourland for when I've finally upgraded my vehicle... (also, I wasn't referring to an alternative way, I think I was confused - on some of the MVUMs, the hairpin left onto 3N16 is also labeled 3N27, they're just overlapping).