Taboose Pass next week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Taboose Pass next week?

Post by commonloon »

I've search a bit and just not finding much. I've been up Taboose 2 times that I can remember and remember more the bushwacking near the creek crossings than the actual crossing. Will they be problematic with the big melt that is going on?

Thanks!

ps: promise to post a TR for this trip!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass next week?

Post by cgundersen »

The fact that I do not even recall the creek crossings on the Taboose trail implies that they were not sketchy enough to merit a memory trace. What I do know is that you should be able to see what the final snowfield looks like from down in the valley (even, from 395). The slope on that last pitch is less than it is on Shepherd pass, and if you do the ascent in one day, any snow should be nice and soft in the afternoon. The lakes below Striped mountain have some sweet campsites, but on my last time up Taboose, we crashed at the tiny pond just the other side of the pass. It is a long slog, but if you go back and read Maverick's inspirational post from maybe 10 years ago (when he was stalking an Arrow peak sunrise), it'll fuel your jets. Cameron

PS. The approach road can be awful, and the trail crew that did the last "improvement" of the Taboose trail covered it with broken rock which I feel is an awful surface, but maybe it's gotten beaten down in the last 6 years? Good luck!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Cameron. THat may be why I don't really remember them either, although I think I was thru during dry years.

I'm debating between it and Sawmill...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, there are some hairy crossings. Check out the 2017 HST Meetup thread. With the very high temps this weekend, crossings could be dangerous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

The one closest to the TH scared the crap out of me on july 30th 2017 in the afternoon. A group of 4 made camp by it to cross in the morning
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Maverick and Gazelle. We would potentially be crossing early morning, but not right at sunrise. Hmmm... I'll be with 2 very experienced adventure racer/friends. Read we know to take crossings seriously. Can we bushwack around? I'm going to look at the topo now. Hmmm.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

yes you can stay to the right side going up and miss both. I think someone did that after the meetup that year
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... &start=190
here is i hope the write up of that year some good pictures of the creek etc
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Oh my. Thanks Gazelle!! The photo of the stream is worth a 1000 words as they say. I'll read thru those threads.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

commonloon: Ok, I just read the meetup posts and they clearly hit conditions appreciably more sketchy than I ever have on that route. The obvious solution is to get Hobbes, Victor and/or Jeff to lend a hand. But if that's not on the cards, then Sawmill may be the better option to avoid the raging water. I greatly prefer the scenery in the Taboose corridor, but if it's a question of coming back in one piece, I'd take the safe choice. Cameron