San Joaquin River Bridge - Over the Top Detour

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

San Joaquin River Bridge - Over the Top Detour

Post by treks »

So I had the opportunity to hike out of Lake Florence last week 2023-07-[03,07] and do part of the bridge detour based on the rough route laid out by Skurka (option C. Over the Top).

https://andrewskurka.com/detouring-san- ... alternates

I was able to do the ascent and get to the final plateau but not the final descent (hiking buddy wasn't feeling well).

I am just going to say right away that I am not going to give specific route information but rather guiding advice on navigating this based on Skurka's rough bearings, especially since it is new. I recommend only fairly experienced hikers with some comfort in class 3 do this. You can pull it off from what I have done so far mainly as class 2 with some hand over hand and not a lot of exposure. Worst case is class 3 with a lot of exposure, so plan carefully.

The biggest takeaways for me were:
  • Don't rely on the contour shading! These are just averages over distance and miss easy step downs. There's a natural switchback I missed the first time because of this.
  • There are a lot of false summits. The granite face from the canyon floor is only a third of the total mountain.
  • When in doubt, try higher ground.
  • Check ledge endings. They may drop off 50+ feet or be a simple 5 foot climb down.
  • If you feel that you are too exposed, reassess. There may be an easier route that requires a small double back and change in elevation.
  • The granite is pretty slick for 2023 July, be really careful, especially around the waterfalls.
  • Give yourself 4 hours to complete.
Here is the journey I took.
  1. From the canyon floor near the bridge I was able to find some open dirt path that winded up to the top of the initial plateau at 8840.
  2. Hiked northwest until we hit the seasonal creek as our backstop.
  3. Ascended hand over hand parallel to the creek waterfalls. This had one sketchy part to it where there was some exposure while shimmying across.
  4. Side hilled to the destination plateau at 10120. Would ascend when we hit waterfalls and then try to descend when possible.
  5. Camped overnight in the plateau (freakin beautiful) and then double backed.
  6. On the descent, found a way easier path that is just east of the bearing line. It forms a natural switchback that doesn't require any class 3 climb down to the 8840 plateau. I did a pretty exposed class 3 before backing out and finding the switchbacks.
So the basic sketch is to follow the dirt path and then a chute that channels seasonal water up to 8840. From there you will need to look east of the bearing line and scan for a stack of switchbacks leading up to 9480. From there, avoid the waterfalls and exposure areas by finding higher ground, and then try to descend to the plateau at 10120 when possible.

Before attempting, make sure you can spot the different landmarks of the mountain side. From the canyon, you will see a wide plateau to the west at 8840 and another more acute one at 9380 further east where it meets Evolution Valley. The area you will climb is above the visible ridgeline. Once you are on the first plateau, your destination plateau at 8840 should be visible and you will see an even larger one above it at 11080.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: San Joaquin River Bridge - Over the Top Detour

Post by c9h13no3 »

So, you went hiking?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

I'm not sure how to respond to this.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

treks wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:47 am I'm not sure how to respond to this.
you're not alone
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by shawnterustic »

@treks Thanks so much for reporting back on your experience with that route - there are a lot of folks, including myself, who will find this info useful as we consider options in that area this summer!
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Great report! I have spent a lot of time thinking about that route this year..... Thanks so much!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for the info on that alternate. Not somewhere that I'll be hiking this year, but I imagine that bridge may be out for multiple years.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

@ treks So were you actually able assess the condition of the bridge and determine it was unstable and shifted under weight? Or is it stable, regardless it is mangled, but can be safely crossed by those with the strength and skill to negotiate its span?

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Gogd wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:06 am @ treks So were you actually able assess the condition of the bridge and determine it was unstable and shifted under weight? Or is it stable, regardless it is mangled, but can be safely crossed by those with the strength and skill to negotiate its span?

Ed
Ed, I believe treks covered that in the last page of this thread: https://www.highsierratopix.com/commun ... 9&start=60.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
shampeon
Topix Acquainted

Post by shampeon »

Is the less sketchy switch back about where this red line is? Just guessing based on the slope angle and your description.
southForkSanJoaquinBridgeBypass.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.