Caltopo doesn't allow links on Windows Vista desktop?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Caltopo doesn't allow links on Windows Vista desktop?

Post by SSSdave »

When I have viewed Caltopo maps over the last few years as someone without a paid or login account, it has always been on my Dell Windows 10 laptop pc. However this morning tried to run from my old HP Windows Vista desktop and found whenever I supplied any type of link, the site sent me instead to some default caltopo massive training page. I know that at least a few years back had no problem doing so. Thus they are obviously trying to inhibit free use of their resource and pointing visitors into accounts.

I am not interested in running from the old HP but because I sometimes provide caltopo links on posts, am now wondering if members can even access those links. It may be fine with Windows 10 or 11 so members might chime in if so. And if someone else noticed this, when did it start? Also note, this has nothing to do with any HST.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Caltopo doesn't allow links on Windows Vista desktop?

Post by Lenier »

1. Accounts are free

2. I just sent a trip link to my dad who doesn't have an account and it wasn't an issue.

3. This sounds like a browser issue because you're still on VISTA! maybe try some browser that still updates and runs on Vista?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Nope. On the old HP tried IE, Chrome, Firefox, same issue.

Expect if I opened an account, yes it would allow access. But that isn't the point. I don't care if I cannot reach the map links using my old HP Vista desktop because I have no issue using my Dell laptop with Windows 10. But rather as noted, this is about understanding if say in a post I provide caltopo map links, will some others not be able to depending on their PC, OS, and browser.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

What you are describing isn't actually a problem, though. This is easily testable by using an incognito or private browser on your own machine. If someone can't access a map, it's because of privacy settings or because the browser is so out of date it doesn't support CalTopo.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Dave, why are you still on Vista?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rlown wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:23 pm Dave, why are you still on Vista?
I bought Adobe Photoshop (for $500+) back in earliest versions going back to 1996 then upgraded each time they revised with the last CS6 in 2012. But then Adobe went to a subscription model, like many other photographers did not want to be paying a monthly fee all year, year after year, especially since most years, I don't use it during half the months, especially in winter while skiing. If I buy a new desktop or laptop, CS6 cannot be ported onto whatever as Adobe ended support. Likewise have a list of other associated old no longer supported imaging applications like for my Epson film scanner that cannot be ported. And won't buy a new desktop until DisplayPort 2.1 is implemented on workstation pc motherboards so I can drive large 8k pc monitors in order to be able to publicly exhibit images using 8k panels.

Despite panel manufacturers producing large HDMI driveable 8k panels for televisions over the last few years, there have been no large pc monitor products mainly due to this lack of hardware implementations including implemented cable and connector standards. Finally DisplayPort 2.1 implementations are rising and one 55 inch 8k panel was at a recent exposition. When I can buy such a workstation, will move all my image files onto that system though will be forced to load an Adobe subscription model.

Note, I rarely connect my HP to the web via my home router and instead use my Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop. That is why I belatedly just noticed the Vista issue. If someone running Windows 7 on a desktop or laptop but without a Caltopo account can chime in as to whether it runs on therir systems, that would tell me what the limitations are that may just be with Vista and older Windows.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Win 7 is no longer supported either. Not sure why people hold onto the past. It is about tomorrow.
JohnS
Topix Acquainted

Post by JohnS »

Dave,
Could you post a link to one of these older CalTopo maps. I have an older HP with Vista, but can't remember if it was registered with a CalTopo account.
It might be a day or 3 before I will have time to hook it up to the monitor. Used to have a switch box to tap and switch between the 2 systems.
John S.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Dave, I am in a similar situation with Adobe, having Creative Suite CS6 (with Photoshop). I also refused to go to the subscription model. When Adobe told me my program's serial number was not valid, I wrote a letter to the Adobe CEO with a copy of the original bill of sale for CS6 and pointed out Adobe's license agreement that it was a lifetime license. They gave me a new serial number and my version of InDesign and Photoshop have continued to work fine for both Window 7 and Windows 10.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com