Using Summer Early Daylight

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Using Summer Early Daylight

Post by JWreno »

It also gives me a great goal for my first 3 years of retirement. My wife and I take astronomy RV trailer trips and do astronomy at night and golf and hike in the daytime. I am walking 7 days a week and 4 days with my wife on her days off. We just put down a deposit on a Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid to give us a large enough car for nation wide road trips with tent camping and astronomy. We will to take it to the Winter Star(Astronomy) Party in the Florida Keys in the winter of 2025. I will never take my trailer that far east.

The goals is to stay fit enough to enjoy backpacking in the mountains, golf, hiking, astronomy and other joys.

Last week I joined our university's fitness center. I am now weight lifting for lunch breaks 3-5 days a week. A co-worker in my department has been weight lift training for about 25 years and another peer starting training with him about 4 years ago and the transformation was interesting to watch. I don't intend to lift to get large but to improve lean body mass while I lose body fat.
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Another warm week. I started my 7 mile walk at 5:10AM. It feels great to have half the walk in before the sun comes up.

Had a good chest and arm weight training session yesterday.
Jeff
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I generally prefer using the daylight on the other half of the day. I live on the east side of the Santa Cruz mountains here on the SF Peninsula, so after work that side is shady & cool. I guess since the other side is usually shrouded in fog being shady & cool isn't that special, but it is a nice place to hike & run after work.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I have been going to bed early and asleep by 8:30PM so the early mornings don't feel so early after 7+ hours of sleep.
Jeff
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I'm an insomniac, so these days it doesn't seem to matter. Lucky to get 5 hrs of sleep a night. Usually take a nap in the afternoon to cover lost hours.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Used to have poor sleep. About 6 years ago I went on an BIPAP AutoSV sleep machine and all my sleeping hours are great. Before that I would fall asleep in boring afternoon meetings at work.
Jeff
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

JWreno wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:05 pm Used to have poor sleep. About 6 years ago I went on an BIPAP AutoSV sleep machine and all my sleeping hours are great. Before that I would fall asleep in boring afternoon meetings at work.
What do you do in the mountains? Doesn't seem practical to bring the BiPAP machine. I don't imagine it runs on batteries.
-Phil
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I won't be bringing the machine. 10 nights without it won't finish me off. My wife will need her earplugs though. They actually make a CPAP that running on battery packs for someone who only needs to be out 1 or 2 nights. 10 nights isn't practical. I have occasionally been of the machine when I screwed up and forgot to bring it on a trip. I was fine without it but I prefer to be on it when I can.

One of my goals with intermittent fasting is to have a solution to reduce my weight without having the yo-yo weight return in the less active winter months. It has been a regular habit to gain 15-20 pounds in the colder months as it become more difficult to keep up walking when it becomes snowy and icy. If my 19 inch neck size is reduced so is the severity of my sleep apnea. My ideal weight is probably 170-180. I hope that a year from this August when we are retired and planning to hike for 3 months to be below 180 pounds. I was able to achieve 175 pounds after being 250 back in 2008 but my lazy and poor eating habits allowed the weight to return over about 5-7 years.

Intermitted fasting has allowed my to go cold turkey on simple carbs and sugar without hunger or cravings. I am currently getting all my carbs out of the produce section and not out of a box or bag. I don't plan to go back to eating 3 times or more a day. I am very comfortable with 18/6 IF or one meal a day as needed to maintain body weight.
Jeff
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

have you considered the inspire product?
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Never heard of it. I just went to the web site. It has four criteria for being appropriate. I am currently obese but working on it. I do get consistent benefit from my BIPAP auto-servo ventilator. I have obstructive sleep apnea but when on a standard BIPAP I have central apnea so the auto-servo ventilator feature is required for it to work well. It is the most expensive version of the BIPAP and costs about $5000.

Thanks for asking me the question. The Inpire product sounds interesting in that it directly treats the obstruction in the airway negating the need for the external machine. I will talk with my pulmonologist about it on my annual follow up.

My mom was never overweight and typically weighed less than 120 pounds. She always snored loud enough that I could hear her when I was sleeping in a bedroom one floor below my parents bedroom. I assume I inherited the sleep apnea from her.
Jeff