Kaiser Pass on the West Side is now open

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Kaiser Pass on the West Side is now open

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Kaiser Pass opened up for the public last Thursday. Wife and I went up on Saturday just to check things out. Still from 4 to 8 feet of snow around the pass, but road is clear to the VVR and I believe to Florence Res as well, but I didn't actually drive over to Florence. Florence is going over the spillway and the South Fork of the San Joaquin at Mono Hot Springs is raging. Campgrounds closed at Mono Hot Springs as there's no access. Had lunch at VVR and met some of the 1st PCT'ers to check in this year (others likely came through before they were open). We also met and talked to a few kayakers from So Cal who were up there to do the South Fork of the San Joaquin from the Hot Springs down to the main stem. Seems nuts too me, but If that's your gig go get em.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kaiser Pass on the West Side is now open

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the update! Wow, 4-8 feet of snow at Kaiser Pass still. That's incredible.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Kaiser Pass on the West Side is now open

Post by texan »

Troutdog 59 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:07 am Kaiser Pass opened up for the public last Thursday. Wife and I went up on Saturday just to check things out. Still from 4 to 8 feet of snow around the pass, but road is clear to the VVR and I believe to Florence Res as well, but I didn't actually drive over to Florence. Florence is going over the spillway and the South Fork of the San Joaquin at Mono Hot Springs is raging. Campgrounds closed at Mono Hot Springs as there's no access. Had lunch at VVR and met some of the 1st PCT'ers to check in this year (others likely came through before they were open). We also met and talked to a few kayakers from So Cal who were up there to do the South Fork of the San Joaquin from the Hot Springs down to the main stem. Seems nuts too me, but If that's your gig go get em.
When I went to Lane and Roosevelt on 6/14 the West Walker River was raging and on the way back we saw some people in wet suits with kayaks and they were running the West Walker from Pickel Meadows as far as they could. I thought they were crazy but they told me they do it all the time. I will stick to fishing. I remember I went over Kaiser Pass in 82-83 to go to Bear Creek the snow was crazy high on the road. It was was like driving thru a tunnel of snow around you. I like the road a lot and fishing Bear Creek is even better. Thanks for the update.

Texan