Looking for Lake Sabrina Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Graydog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Looking for Lake Sabrina Conditions

Post by Graydog »

Hi All-

I have/had a trip planned to go from Lake Sabrina to Blue lake with a 9 year old on July 4. I saw the road to Sabrina has been open for some time now but with all the snow and some pics I have seen I am assuming that Blue will be out of the plans for us. My question is how much snow is still around Sabrina. My thought being maybe just do the trip and camp at Sabrina but if that is still socked in with snow I will probably just cancel. Any updates are appreciated.
texan
Topix Expert

Re: Looking for Lake Sabrina Conditions

Post by texan »

They had a pic of Long Lake last week above South lake and it was frozen solid, too much snow. Blue Lake will still be frozen too most likely. If you fish going to the inlet of Sabrina is always good. I want to go to Echo Lake this year but I think it will be frozen most of the year. May open up in late August. Also check out the updates on Lake Sabrina facebook page. Good luck.

Texan
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

This is a satellite view from June 25th with the route from Sabrina to Blue lake in red.
sabrina.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------------
Dave | flickr
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

I'd love to get a similar dated image of the Duck Lake area. Can you explain where this comes from? Sentinelhub? I can't seem to get that site to show me the date of the image (at least I'm not confident that the date it shows—always today's—is really when the image was made).
—B²
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

BSquared wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:18 am I'd love to get a similar dated image of the Duck Lake area. Can you explain where this comes from? Sentinelhub? I can't seem to get that site to show me the date of the image (at least I'm not confident that the date it shows—always today's—is really when the image was made).
Here's Duck Lake in that link.

When you run a search, they show you the image dates available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

texan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:22 pm They had a pic of Long Lake last week above South lake and it was frozen solid, too much snow. Blue Lake will still be frozen too most likely. If you fish going to the inlet of Sabrina is always good. I want to go to Echo Lake this year but I think it will be frozen most of the year. May open up in late August. Also check out the updates on Lake Sabrina facebook page. Good luck.

Texan
Thanks. I saw that picture, that was got me worried that maybe Sabrina would still have too much snow as well.
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

SirBC wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:53 pm This is a satellite view from June 25th with the route from Sabrina to Blue lake in red.

sabrina.jpg
Thanks for this. Blue Lake definitely still covered, Sabrina looks pretty good.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

BSquared wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:18 am I'd love to get a similar dated image of the Duck Lake area. Can you explain where this comes from? Sentinelhub? I can't seem to get that site to show me the date of the image (at least I'm not confident that the date it shows—always today's—is really when the image was made).
I'm using Caltopo (paid) with the Sentinel Weekly overlay.
duck-lake.jpg
-------------
Dave | flickr
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks!
—B²
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Regardless of whether Blue Lake is ice free and campable or not, the George Creek crossing will be difficult at best (likely not suitable for most 9 year olds).
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.