Miter Basin in July?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
isaac
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Miter Basin in July?

Post by isaac »

Hi all!
Curious if any have a feel for expected conditions late July for a Cottonwood Pass-Miter Basin-Crabtree-New Army Pass loop. Will Miter Basin be snow camping throughout? Are these passes now hardcore mountaineering terrain, owing to snowpack?
I know there's a lot of information out there, but I find the most knowledgable and specific answers are often found on this forum.
Finally, if an east entry is a no-go, does anyone have suggestions for a 6-day west entry loop that won't encounter the more hazardous water crossings this year?
Thanks in advance!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Miter Basin in July?

Post by c9h13no3 »

I haven't done Miter Basin myself, so this advice is more general.

Miter Basin is usually a good early entry because it is in the most southern & eastern part of the range. Thus the area gets less snow than most of the Sierra. Also there are gentle passes to get into the basin (New Army, Siberian, Cottonwood), and creek crossings drain small drainages. So while the creek crossings and gentle passes are still there, the smaller snowpack certainly is not! Also because Miter Basin is high in elevation, it will hold that snow longer than areas to the north.

Looking at satellite images from 2017, all the lakes in the basin were melted out by late July. That was the last big snow year, but this year is bigger. I'd also expect any north & east facing passes to hold onto snow for a *long* time this year. Don't cross Old Army Pass this year. The other passes mentioned above, you may have to walk on some snow, but it should be manageable.

If you've already got permits, I'd plan to go. Bring trekking poles, mosquito repellant, and plan to get your feet wet.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... in#p163184

This is a trip I did mid to late june 2006. More snow this year- 300% vs 150% in 2006. You would need crampons if doing any peaks. I think New Army Pass cornice will be there all summer this year. I would take crampons and ice axe (assuming you have the experience to use them) if planning on New Army and be prepared to retreat if needed. I have done the detour that goes around the cornice without any special gear - mid-August 2019.

I think you would be fine if you go in and out Cottonwood Pass. May be some difficult creek crossings. Late July would be better than early July.

There is a trip report Horseshoe Meadow to Whitney- over on the Whitney Portal forum.
isaac
Topix Novice

Post by isaac »

I appreciate the info--I do have the experience and gear (ice axe/crampons) but would prefer to plan a trip that doesn't require them. I find that level of risk too stressful when I'm the most experienced person on the outing, or when I'm going solo. Unsure if I'll end up pulling the trigger on this one...
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jrad »

Probably lots of snow still. I did a trip end of June 1978, very wet year after serious drought ended in 1977 ... but not biggest snow like 2023. Late June was still heavy snow down to about 9000 elevation, especially in shade, of course). Army Pass had deep sun cups on E side - real pain. LOTS of snow in Rock Creek area (LOTS!) and view up to Mitre Basin looked like a Shangri la but of the Winter Wonderland type. [Actually inspired a series of "Halloween Trips" (end-October) Cross-Sierra for 7 years after that to get to my Mitre Basin Shangri La (never made it - amazing trips though).]

Snow this year (today): https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 45012.html

Avoid Old Army Pass - NOT maintained and getting worse each year. It can literally be lethal with snow on it (several people died in 2017, I think it was - slid off cliffy section just down from top)! A little scary even w/o snow though I'd do again (and I'm 76 now) if dry late in the year.

Great X-C route up from Mitre to upper Soldier Lake to Langley Trail intersection. Easy Class 2 or less ("use" trails but confused - easy to pick right one after a while, anyway). After getting to main Langley Peak ("use" but heavily used) Trail, is an amazing place to camp on 12000-elevation shoulder area with weird rock outcrops. Would be plenty of snow for water. Last day, Cottonwood Lakes always beautiful.

Crossing Rock Creek will be wet almost certainly. Possibly a little worrisome - check w/ ranger. In 1978, it looked like a major river (snow bridges and all) though I did not need to cross it anywhere and I am sure PCT folks have crossed this year w/o incident much further down from where I saw it near Soldier Lakes. I don't think there's a bridge on PCT either.

Hey, check w/ Lone Pine SEKI ranger anyway! They will know. Rock Creek Ranger probably is just now heading out for 2023 posting right now! Major Ranger Station is on PCT next to Rock Creek.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

I was in the Miter Basin in late June 2019, which may roughly approximate late July / early August this year. The biggest issue that I encountered in the Miter Basin was not snow, but rather water. The whole basin before the climb to Sky Blue Lake was a giant lake! The trail was flooded between ankle and knee high in most places, and it was tough to find a place to camp that weren't flooded or boggy.
hansenb25
Topix Novice

Post by hansenb25 »

I have done the MB via Old Army a couple years ago. There was still snow at the top and it was a little sketch for sure. This year I agree, no chance I would go that route. The trail at the very top likes to sluff. Also I would question going over Crabtree, north facing. Could have lots of snow and never thaw completely this year. That whole basin could be a lake all summer, for real.