Lake County - Cache Creek Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lake County - Cache Creek Wilderness

Post by jgaffney »

I was looking for a tune-up hike to start off the year. I didn't want to go to the Sierras since it's my first trip of the year - I wanted something close to me (Sonoma County) and low enough to stay out of the snow. I discovered the Cache Creek Wilderness, a BLM area just east of Clear Lake. A quick check with the local BLM office told me that I didn't need a wilderness permit or any fees. CalTopo showed me a 7-mile hike that would take me to a meadow near the creek where I could camp and fish for a few days.

I found the trailhead easily, right off of Hwy 20, with parking and an outhouse. I didn't see any water supply there. I started out on the Redbud Trail around noon for a nice hike through grasslands and a little bit of forest. The hike climbs up a 1,300 ft ridge, then comes back down to the first creek crossing at 3 miles. And, that's as far as I got.

Cache Creek was running about 4-5 ft deep and rushing along at about 15 ft per second. I stood on the bank with 2 other hikers, and we decided that it would be fatal to try to cross the creek. They turned around and left, but I camped just above the creek. I had the place to myself. I did some exploring around the area - there are a lot of fisherman trails up and down the creek, but there's a lot of waist- and chest-high star thistle that you often had to brush aside to make it through. Not fun.

I didn't sleep too well because of the noise from the roaring creek. I got up the next morning, had a cup of coffee and a powerbar, and walked out.

I'll go back there again some time because I understand that the fishing is good when the creek is not raging. It probably gets toasty out there in July and August, and snakes would be a problem. But, for a close-by fall hike, this could be fun.
williegoat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lake County - Cache Creek Wilderness

Post by williegoat »

Very cool! I think there is a "Beyond the Sierra" section of the forum to post these topics. Cache Creek is my early season go to for a shakedown. For future reference, there are some water level/guage info available online like here:
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-l ... period=P7D

Sounds like you made it to Baton Flat or thereabouts, which has a cool Peninsula feature behind it. Better luck next time!

I share some of my Cache Creek trips here:
https://www.spiritbleach.com/2021/09/ca ... ights.html