Super Sierra High Route Video

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Super Sierra High Route Video

Post by JWreno »

Great video showing an extended version of the Sierra High Route. I have done some small segments of the Sierra High route in the past but my wife and son are not comfortable with the technical challenges so we tend to stay away from the wild passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvnoaATyA4

Jeff
Last edited by JWreno on Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Super Sierra High Route Video

Post by Gogd »

+1
I came across this video a year ago. I consider it one of the best TR videos of the Sierra I've seen.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Totally agree, and I am not someone who generally enjoys hiking videos. But this one had four things going for it:

1. A real script--not just cobled together video, but time spent laying out the story and telling it well.
2. Lovely photography--really beautiful shots
3. Characters who genuinely conveyed their appreciation and love of the experience.
4. The Sierra.

What a delight.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

"Day 6 - 79 total miles." "Day 7 - 93 total miles." "Day 8 - 105 total miles." Seriously? It would be hard enough to cover that much ground on a trail, but to do it cross-country? I dunno. Either the filmmakers have wings or they aren't measuring the mileage accurately.

Ach -- my bad! I see from Daisy's post below these are total miles, not daily miles.
Last edited by Pietro257 on Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What they call "total miles" is the trip totals. So day 7 is 93-79 miles for the day, or 14 miles.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I really enjoyed that video. I got to relive my SHR section hikes, and, in the narration, I got to hear about the hike in the way hikes unfold to me.

It leaves me thinking I should have gone over instead of around Mt Baxter last summer, and also shows the power and extra confidence one gains when hiking with trusted friends.

Thanks Jeff for sharing it.