June 30 2 nighter with Lakes and granite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
teddyinthewoods
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

June 30 2 nighter with Lakes and granite?

Post by teddyinthewoods »

Looks like Tioga Rd is weeks away from opening and my Yosemite plans have to be scuttled. Any wise advice for a two night backpacking trip that meets the following profile?
Three Level 2 backpackers in our 50s who want to stay on the trail with no challenging creek crossings. Maybe a 10-20 mile trip in total. We're looking for lakes and granite and little or no snow within a four hour drive of San Francisco. Loops are always ideal, but I know better than to be too picky.

Thanks in advance.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: June 30 2 nighter with Lakes and granite?

Post by giantbrookie »

Things are still thawing very slowly, so the only guaranteed granite and lakes are NW Yosemite (Kibbie, Laurel, Vernon). They're the only lakes on granite that are thawed as of the 6/20/2023 satellite image. Actually NW Desolation is thawed too and that's on granite but not as scenic as NW Yosemite. The lakes in NW Deso and vicinity that are thawed include Buck Island Lake (not attractive), Rockbound L., Rubicon Res. That isn't much of a trip compared to NW Yosemite though.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mursey »

Interesting, would you have a link to the sat images? My google skills fail me.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Many of us use the Sentinel Hub Playground app -- here's a link showing the most recent June 20 satellite image of the NW Yosemite area: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false

For OP -- the Meeks Creek drainage in Desolation Wilderness has lakes that are mostly thawed, and by June 30 the area should be mostly snow-free. Not a loop, but you could do day 1 to Crag Lake, day 2 dayhike to Middle Velma (still some snow on the PCT around Phipps Pass, but should be navigable), and then day 3 back out to the trailhead.
teddyinthewoods
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by teddyinthewoods »

Windknot and Giantbrookie - thanks for the excellent advice. I'll report back after my trip. FYI, looks like Kibbie Lake permits are issued from the Sonora Ranger Station this year.