Little Yosemite Valley / Merced Lake Inquiry

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Little Yosemite Valley / Merced Lake Inquiry

Post by TxAggie »

I’m coming from the east coast and finalizing preparations for a trip with my daughter. Our permit is for Happy Isles, we’ll be using hammocks and I’ve heard there are some burned sections along Merced creek. Are there enough good trees to hang? Also, is the trail flooded or is it high enough above the creek that it’s mostly dry. Going to try and make our way up to the Merced High Sierra Camp and back over a few days.

Thanks for any input. If you have specific resources that would be great too.

Thanks everyone!
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Little Yosemite Valley / Merced Lake Inquiry

Post by dbargaehr1 »

EDIT: I just saw you said "hang" and I missed the hammock part. The below list is probably already known to you.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong, but within Yosemite National Park you are required to use a certified bear canister. Hanging is a no-go. The bears there are too smart and defeat even "proper" hangs. And yes, the rangers do check.

LIST OF ACCEPTED BEAR CANS: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm

BEAR CAN REGULATIONS: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... isters.htm

RENTING BEAR CANS IN YNP: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... entals.htm

Not sure when your trip is.

You can view Sentinel Hub recent satellite imagery for your planned route here: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.54.34 AM.jpg
Per CalTopo's fire history feature, the only part of little yosemite valley that is burned is from the 2014 meadow fire for about 3.3 miles of trail. As long as you camp outside that there's plenty of forested areas. Check the satellite imagery around there on caltopo and you can see the burn area pretty easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Most of the burned zone is in a no-camp area anyway. A LYV pass-through permit requires that you go two miles past LYV (not sure exactly where the permitted camping starts- that map should be on the Yosemite website somewhere). The desirable camping is just before you cross the two bridges before the trail switch-backs up to Echo Valley. It makes a rigorous day, but I have done it many times. Just get a very early start from Happy Isles. There are plenty of good hammock hanging trees up there. Seriously, the camping the first mile or so where it becomes legal is not very desirable.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
(not sure exactly where the permitted camping starts- that map should be on the Yosemite website somewhere).

YNP:
beyond Moraine Dome on the trail toward Merced Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Thanks, yeah by hanging I meant hammock, I have a Bearvault for us to use. Personally I hate hanging bear bags. I just recent heard about sentinel playground and started reviewing it for regular updates. Thanks for the insight.
dbargaehr1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:52 am EDIT: I just saw you said "hang" and I missed the hammock part. The below list is probably already known to you.

You can view Sentinel Hub recent satellite imagery for your planned route here: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Thank you, Wandering Daisy.

How long should I expect it to take to get to the camping area past LYV? If going to Merced over 2 days, it looks like one day will have to be a little longer than the other due to the burn area. Do you think it’s better doing the first night at LYV or before the two bridges as you mentioned? (Providing both options are still available when they open final permits.)
Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:25 am Most of the burned zone is in a no-camp area anyway. A LYV pass-through permit requires that you go two miles past LYV (not sure exactly where the permitted camping starts- that map should be on the Yosemite website somewhere). The desirable camping is just before you cross the two bridges before the trail switch-backs up to Echo Valley. It makes a rigorous day, but I have done it many times. Just get a very early start from Happy Isles. There are plenty of good hammock hanging trees up there. Seriously, the camping the first mile or so where it becomes legal is not very desirable.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Update: Forst, thanks for all the input everyone.
I was able to secure a permit for Happy Isles to LYV Campground. Our current plan is to hike up to LYV first night then make our way to Merced lake for the second night. On the return trip, we’re planning to head NW to link up with the JMT and camp just beyond the burned area.

Here’s my question: The snow maps are a little vague for the JMT between Forsyth Trail and the trail to Half Dome. Does anyone know if we’ll need micro spikes for this section?

Thanks for any input.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

For a south facing trail below 8K? I wouldn't bring anything other than trekking poles.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bring your webbed duck feet :) or whatever foot-gear you use for wading.

I have done that section early season and it was sloppy wet. There are a few steep sections with switch-backs but they are down low just as you climb out of Echo Valley (which itself could be a swamp with wading required). The main problem is that the mile or so of trail that crosses to the JMT is not easy to follow even in perfect conditions. Snow patches would further complicate navigation. A GPS would be useful and be sure you know where you are, but I have never been sure if the trail on the ground exactly follows what is shown on the map. A bit of scouting may be necessary. Although it is a bit miserable, it is a short section. There are several crossings that you will likely wade. I prefer the campsites on the other side of the creek above the trail junction with the Clouds Rest Trail.

I have encountered rattlesnakes all along your route, so be aware. They are pretty sluggish and little threat as long as you do not accidently step on one.