Those empty campsites

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Those empty campsites

Post by balzaccom »

California may try to help...Check this out: ktla.com/news/california/california-campsite-reservation-bill-passes-state-assembly/

Credit if you cancel before seven days. And if you don't show on the first night, the whole reservation is cancelled and the site opened up.
Last edited by balzaccom on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Those empty campsite

Post by c9h13no3 »

Sooooo necessary! Also, it's astonishing that this requires a bill in congress.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Those empty campsite

Post by balzaccom »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:33 am Sooooo necessary! Also, it's astonishing that this requires a bill in congress.
State Assembly, but yes. Somebody ain't flying the plane.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Those empty campsites

Post by Gogd »

Too bad there isn't anything like this policy for federally controlled lands.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like soloing with friends.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've been resorting to dispersed camping on forest roads because I can't reserve a campsite from Lake Isabella to Northern Yosemite. Be nice if the system was cleaned up a bit. It doesn't feel that long ago you simply drove up and got a site. Now it's a mission to go camping.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Mixed feelings about this, as I have done it myself.
A campground is close to us. We have made reservations for the day before and day after our planned stay so we can get there before the normal checkin time and leave after the checkout time.
OTOH -- I have seen 'Campground Full' signs with half the sites unoccupied, and stay unoccupied overnight.

So many campsites now, especially the popular areas, accept reservations 6 months in advance, and are booked up by 2am.

Yeah, boondocking is the way to go. Unfortunately, we travel with pets in our RV, and in hot weather we need to keep the AC running. So we need a campsite with electric hookups, or run the generator. I am hesitant to leave the generator running while we are gone for the day. This leaves us with needing electric sites, and do our boondocking in cooler weather.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

This is good. Look forward to seeing things get a bit better - the system as it is now just encourages hoarding reservations.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

I don’t think “better” is in the short-term forecast. Next phase will be campers taking over reserved (but empty) campsites as a protest again the system. The angst is brewing…
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

RoguePhotonic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:42 pm I've been resorting to dispersed camping on forest roads because I can't reserve a campsite from Lake Isabella to Northern Yosemite. Be nice if the system was cleaned up a bit. It doesn't feel that long ago you simply drove up and got a site. Now it's a mission to go camping.
its still pretty easy to get a first come first served site mid-morning mid-week...but otherwise yeah no more heading up on a friday and finding something
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

rayfound wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:57 am This is good. Look forward to seeing things get a bit better - the system as it is now just encourages hoarding reservations.
Having to pay a fee to Booz Allen for the privilege of obtaining access to public land seriously pisses me off. It is on the same moral plane as the corner crossing issue in MT and WY.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=