Child Carriers

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Child Carriers

Post by sparky »

I'm looking at getting a child carrier to bring the baby along on day hikes.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching yet, but I don't see any of the manufacturers giving much information on the size of the baby that will fit. I see osprey and Deuter offer adjustable seat heights, Deuter offers a spec on max child weight but that's about it.

Baby is currently 2 months old and he did his first hike today, so I would like to get a nice one to take him on trips this summer.

If I drop 3-400 on this thing, will it last from newborn to toddler? Anyone able to offer any insight on child sizing? Anyone able to offer an opinion on the various models?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Child Carriers

Post by wildhiker »

Look on Nextdoor, Craig's List, etc for used carriers. The high quality ones last much longer than one kid - save some money on a used one. My daughter bought one used, used it for both grandkids, and it is still in great shape. Can't remember which brand. She plans to sell it now.
live2surf
Topix Newbie

Post by live2surf »

We had the Osprey and loved it. Lasted through both our boys and lots of time in the mountains. An added plus was how easily it cleaned up from their spitting up as infants. We found that having a little towel or lighter pillow-like object to support/stabilize their heads was also helpful as they dropped to sleep.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

So it sounds like they are adjustable enough to go from newborn to toddler without much fit issues?
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

My 4 year old started "hiking" at 3 weeks old with us, so I can speak to the newborn to toddler needs.

Before they have solid head control, you're going to want one that supports the neck. Most products in this category are front carried, and honestly that's probably best at this age anyways. We used a BabbyBjorn carrier probably longer than we could have until we switched to the Osprey Poco. We chose the Poco because it has an actual metal frame around the kiddo when setup - so if you were to fall, they wouldn't be crushed. Some of the competitors don't have that, and IIRC none of them I could try on at the stores did other than the Poco. I did slip on a muddy root in Hawaii with my kiddo when he was 1, landing on my back, and not only was he fine - he was laughing about the whole thing. I used that carrier until he outgrew it , which for most kids will be around 3-4. I personally put probably 200-300 miles on it. No tears, scratches or major stains somehow; it's ready another tour of duty for my brand new nephew in a few months time.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

We have several. A front chest carrier is nice until their feet get long enough they kick you in the nuts when they swing their feet.

We also have a Kelly kids frame carrier. It was heavy and bulky to pack in the car, but we got in some 6-8 mile hikes with it.

Both of which we bought used. It’s hard to screw up as long as the carrier is age appropriate. Once they hit around 20 months old tho, it starts to get selfish to trap them in the carrier that long.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If you are carrying an infant in a front carrier, I highly recommend using trekking poles for additional balance. I was hiking with my 2 month old granddaughter in a front carrier with no poles and managed to trip on a root in the trail. I went down but luckily broke my fall and landed on hands and knees so I didn't crush the kid. If I had had my hiking poles, I probably would not have fallen.
-Phil
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Besides the child side considerations, you may want to actually try on carriers, to assure they also fit you. Ten to twwenty pounds in a poorly fitting carrier is worse than a poor fitting pack.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

We had a Deuter, lasted through 3 kids and then handed down to another family. Thing should still be going strong. I think it got used when the kids were about 6 - 30 months, younger can't hold their heads steady and they were too small for the carrier anyway. Much past 24 - 30 months and they just don't want to ride around anymore.

Definitely check out Craigs List or just ask friends.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Also think about sun and mosquito protection. In the old days we had to make our own, but the new carriers may have built-in canopies.

Be aware that you are expanding a lot of energy and staying warm; the kid in back is sitting there so can get chilled. I never let my kids have bare feet-which are little snacks for all kinds of bugs. Once a kid can walk, you should let them out regularly and have them walk a short distance on the trail. One reason is to keep them from sleeping all day while you walk and then end up fussy all night.

As for how long to use a carrier, depends on your kid- luckily my daughters were small so even at a year under 20 pounds. Neither wanted to be in the carrier after about 3 years old. You then enter the awkward phase of too old or heavy to carry, too young to make any meaningful distance. At that phase, we used outfitters- kids rode in front of adults or kids on horse, adults walking.