Beasore Road Access - Isberg, Fernandez, Norris THs

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Beasore Road Access - Isberg, Fernandez, Norris THs

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Been prepping for my planned Isberg Pass TH trip in late July. Many thanks to the people on this forum for the fantastic resources. Here's what i've found so far.

tl;dr - access is dicey and depends on construction closures and whether snowmelt + burn scar = impassable road damage. Call Bass Lake Ranger Station before going.

Here's what I've gathered from various sources.

construction on Beasore Road will take place starting just west of the Portuguese Creek Overlook Area and up past Norris Bridge to right where it meets Minarets Road. This could affect access to Norris, Fernandez, and Isberg TH. Work is slated to begin in July. https://www.constructionjournal.com/pro ... 66b0b.html

Norris Creek bridge is currently out and will be replaced in 2023, but timeline is unknown. Parts of the adjacent road will be closed, but it doesn't say how far. https://www.constructionjournal.com/pro ... 6cdb.html

5S05 can be used to bypass the Norris bridge closure by heading up towards Fernandez Trailhead. A high clearance vehicle is recommended.

5S30 past Granite Creek (towards Isberg TH) is in danger of being washed out due to the creek fire and high snowmelt. Given the proximity of the road to the creek and the rapid melt + snow depth, I'd bet on 5S30 being impassable there. An alternate route is 4S60 towards granite creek campground, but there's an unbridged creek crossing there and I'm questioning whether that will be fordable by vehicle anytime soon.

Minarets Road in theory should also be usable to get to Isberg TH, as they are using it to effect the Beasore Road repairs east of the Norris Bridge closure. However, there is a timber sale ongoing at Minarets, and repairs will also be effected on Minarets road in 2023.

The 2020 Creek Fire Burn Scar really heavily affects all of this. Using Caltopo's free "Fire History" feature shows that most of Minarets Road is in the burn scar. That means hillside slumping, landslides, etc. could affect any of the routes in between now and any planned trip. Additionally, high runoff could make some of the forest roads completely impassable. My hope is that the construction crews need both Minarets and Beasore Road to access the planned work areas, so hopefully extra attention will be paid to keeping them passable if there's any minor road damage.

Some other resources:

From a Google Review on Isberg TH likely posted by USFS personnel:
In spring of 2023 be aware that there may be road damage from the January floods. Also watch out for the trees that regularly fall into the road.

Trailhead access in 2023 depends on how damaged local roads are during the winter. The 5S30 from its crossing of Granite Creek to the trailhead is in danger of being washed out in a storm. There is also a timber sale starting in the area to remove roadside hazard trees from the Creek Fire.

The trail was heavily damaged by the 2020 Creek Fire and subsequent flooding. The damage is the worst from the trailhead to the niche. Many sections in that portion are heavily eroded and could be overgrown with brush in 2023.

The Norris Creek bridge is gone so accessing this trailhead from Beasore road requires a detour. The best official detours are via the 5S02 and 5S05 (not shown on visitor map but on MVUM). You can also get from Beasore Rd to Mammoth Pool road via Grizzly Rd. Please call the Bass Lake Ranger station to check if the Norris Bridge has been repaired or if there are any road closures.

The scenic byway between Chiquito bridge and Minarets pack station is in very rough condition so expect to drive 15-20mph dodging potholes. Repairs have been funded through GAOA for FY 2023-2025.

In 2023 all 50 or so miles of the minarets road will have repairs done and will be chipsealed. There are also several timber sales both along this road and beyond it. Watch out for construction and logging traffic.

I would not recommend driving a motorhome or large fifth-wheel on this road due to its windy narrow nature and the increased traffic in 2023.
Sierra NF Roads Page: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/h ... rdb5399344

Contact info:
Bass Lake Ranger District: (559) 877-2218 ext.0
Sierra National Forest Service Roads Manager: 559-297-0706 ex. 4961 or 559-392-0423
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular

Re: Beasore Road Access - Isberg, Fernandez, Norris THs

Post by dbargaehr1 »

I called the bass Lake ranger district yesterday AM 7/17/23 to get an update.

Per the ranger, Beasore is closed between 5S05 and minarets road. A detour on 5S05/5S30 is required to get to Isberg TH but it is accessible with high clearance vehicle. Without a high clearance vehicle the detour is “not advised”, per the ranger. Apparently 5S30 held up quite well to the meltoff and there’s very few problem spots.

Minarets road is closed up to where it meets Beasore as well.

Fernandez, Norris, Quartz Mtn, and Chiquito THs are all accessible as well.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

Good intel! Thanks
mtnlion44
Topix Newbie

Post by mtnlion44 »

My dog and I actually did it in my beater C250 on Thursday. It was a little hairy in a couple spots but not bad at all overall. Anything like an Outback or a rental car would be no problem at all:)
mtnlion44
Topix Newbie

Post by mtnlion44 »

Minerets was still blocked right past lower Chiquito CG but you can take the paved road 9 mi back over to Beasore from there and it comes out just above Jones Store. There was almost no one up there when we went.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Cora Lakes TH is completely inaccessible. Massive washouts about 1/10th of a mile in.