Onion Valley access

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DannyL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Onion Valley access

Post by DannyL »

I have a permit for Kearsarge Pass for weekend of 6/2. Eastern Sierra Visitors Center told me road at Seven Pines closed. Can park there and road walk it to trailhead about 7 miles. Uggh! Does anyone know of any short cut maybe along Independence Creek to at least cut some of the mileage. Thanks.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Onion Valley access

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You could probably cut some switchbacks, but it would be harder and may not save much time. I would either bite the bullet and walk in (it may be open when you return and you could hitch a ride back) or cancel and get another entry date.

PS- there will be almost total snow once you get to Onion Valley. If you had planned on this, fine. Perhaps decide if the trip is now worth it.
DaveMc
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DaveMc »

Who would have guessed this would be the topic for my first post 🤷🏼‍♂️.

If you have to hike it anyway, hike the original road! It starts in Seven Pines and weaves over the "new" road a bunch of times on the way up. Could switch back and forth to find the shortest route and get off the pavement here and there.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

Pro Tip: When parking at the gate, be sure to unload your bicycle, as leaving it in or on your vehicle may result in your bicycle being stolen or worse - your vehicle being broke into. Makes getting up closed roads a bit easier. Lock/Stash that mobility device at the onsent of adverse conditions (too much snow to continue) and enjoy your trip. Be astonished at how much the snow line has receded once you return from the wilds to retrieve your trusty wheeled steed!!!! Enjoy the coast back down the road to your vehicle!