SHR Pack Shakedown

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: SHR Pack Shakedown

Post by c9h13no3 »

I presume that in August you're skipping the snow gear. I don't really know much about the Sierra High Route (any route that bypasses summits on purpose is inherently uninteresting to me). But ice axes get pretty small & light, and you can then get rid of your trowel. IDK, in a huge snow year, something to think about. Going S-->N would also give you a lot more glissades.

I also thought you could do lighter than a Patagonia Puffy, but eh, it's a fine piece of gear with better durability than the other lighter options.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
simonisflying
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by simonisflying »

Thanks much for your breakdown, Ed. Lots of things I didn't think about, so, again, thank you!

I won't respond point-to-point to your comments, but will say that reading your response urged me to redefine what I want to take away from this trip and what decisions I'm willing to make along the way. Just know that I intend to play it safe (7-8 out of 10 max effort) for the consequences you mentioned associated with going solo.

Much appreciated for your well-written response and excellent explanations!

Simon

Gogd wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:31 pm I am probably not the best to review your list, as my extra underwear probably outweighs your entire clothes list ;)

Ditto, the shelter comments already posted.

Micro spikes:
Traction devices should be considered mission critical, if they are needed at all. Micro spikes are designed for walking on icy parking lots at the resort, not traversing a 25⁰ slope. Micro spikes are not designed for sustained travel over steep, inclined snow and rock. Therefore they do not meet this need. They may roll off your foot on the steeps because the rubber rands were not meant to take high lateral force loads, especially those encountered on steep traverses, and PCT hikers have reported broken rands and broken chain mail connecting the spikes, while doing on-trail hiking.

Clothing:
No brimmed hat or chap stick?! Do bring extra socks, this year you will get your feet wet! I'd bring more warm stuff. The HST routes generally stay higher (cooler) than the PCT and are more exposed. Your camps will more often than not be 10⁰F+ cooler that those along the PCT and more exposed to wind. You also lack back up clothes should your primaries get sodden. I recommend having solid rain gear for that reason, plus a full hard shell top and bottoms will make your layering system more efficient, given the hard shell reduces heat lost to convection.

Tech:
Given the gear you list, I question the need for a power bank and cords. A conventional UL head lamp is just as light as a rechargeable, and you can replenish batteries when you resupply. Likewise one camera has always sufficed for me, and as long as I am not wasting juice reviewing my shots, the battery lasts several weeks. Pack fresh batteries in your resupplies and recycle or mail home the spent ones.

Water treatment:
Lions, tigers, bears - and giardia! Oh my! The Fear Mongering Industrial Complex has sold us the perils of bad water. What they don't tell you is only specific locations in the Sierra pose a risk to water borne pathogens (large streams and rivers, stagnant waters, sources with bovine or equestrian activities upstream, and sources with high concentrations of human activity up steam). In other words Dorothy can pretty much leave her filter back home, along with the bear spray, taser and hand gun. The entire HST can be hiked without having to avail to any at risk water source. Just choose a flowing source that lacks any upstream trails or livestock activity. In fact most Sierra water has less giardia and generally fewer pathogens, than tap water. I've been drinking unfiltered water meeting these guidelines over 50 years with no incidence. But I do carry the (much lighter, less bulky than filters) two part chemical treatment, in case I end up camping where water sources do not meet the above criteria. In fact the vast majority of alleged bad water illnesses are actually caused by poor kitchen and personal hygiene habits. (Wash your hands before cooking and eating!) Lastly, prevent any pathogens from reaching a significant level of concentration in collected water, by discarding any water stored 12+ hours.

Daily mileage:
I assume you are soloing, and based your profile, this is your first significant XC trek. No biggie to me, XC soloing, but consider lowering the risk by avoiding excessive fatigue, and limiting scheduled daily miles. The distances you intend to cover have been accomplished by others, but virtually everyone doing this does so as a group. Nevertheless a significant number of these trekkers sustained injuries sufficient to disrupt the trip. Would you be willing to take this risk if you had no InReach device or other means to contact the outside world? SAR is not a responsible back up plan.

Ed
simonisflying
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by simonisflying »

I don't know if an ice axe is completely necessary in late summer early fall as the route travels through primarily the 9,000ft-11,500ft range, guess we'll find out as the trip reports start coming in, but for the purpose of research, do you have any lightweight ice axe suggestions?

Simon
c9h13no3 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 pm I presume that in August you're skipping the snow gear. I don't really know much about the Sierra High Route (any route that bypasses summits on purpose is inherently uninteresting to me). But ice axes get pretty small & light, and you can then get rid of your trowel. IDK, in a huge snow year, something to think about. Going S-->N would also give you a lot more glissades.

I also thought you could do lighter than a Patagonia Puffy, but eh, it's a fine piece of gear with better durability than the other lighter options.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Simon, among all the copious advice you've received, no one has addressed the glaring omission of medicinal brandy. What if something happens to you?! I've pretty much reduced my first aid kit down to the medicinal brandy alone. It has served me well for everything from altitude headaches to blisters, boredom and broken ankles. ;)
Good luck out there.

p.s. You might consider a good dog to carry it for you.
PXL_20221231_235337370.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue May 30, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I wish Bacardi still made their 151. better than brandy. I do carry an ace to wrap, and a LOT of Advil and sutures.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

simonisflying wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:39 pm I don't know if an ice axe is completely necessary in late summer early fall as the route travels through primarily the 9,000ft-11,500ft range, guess we'll find out as the trip reports start coming in, but for the purpose of research, do you have any lightweight ice axe suggestions?
Look up trip reports from August of 2017 or 2019. You can also find old satellite images from 2019. That'd be the easiest way to get an idea. In August, I'm usually looking to climb rocks around the snow and leave the ice axe at home. Maybe pick up some sharp rocks or use a trekking pole to stand in for an ice axe. But this isn't going to be your average August.

A 45cm Camp Corsa weighs 245g. Course, an ice axe is a reasonable piece of gear to buy used, and their weights don't vary that much.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

wet wipes are for cleaning the feet at the end of the day as I get blisters from virtually everything that sticks on my footbed, but totally could shed some weight by bringing compressed wipes that expand with a few drops of water
I am a HUGE fan of good foot care!! I get it. I *do* feel like even on the high routes, there's usually a water source that will aid and abet in cleaning your tootsies. I once actually "dehydrated" a pack of wipes to bring on the PCT in my more idealistic days. Now it's a quick dip or swipe with the bandanna. But I can't blame you for trading in a few ounces of foot care supplies for a pound of foot problem prevention...or something like that :)

Enjoy figuring out your optimal camera system! I do think it's always worth carrying "fun" weight that enhances our experiences out there. I started toting a small, DIY watercolor kit a few years back and it's honestly brought me so much joy to sit and marinate in the beauty in a different kind of way.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Harlen wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:51 am Simon, among all the copious advice you've received, no one has addressed the glaring omission of medicinal brandy.
FAIR POINT (although my, um, doctor recommends bourbon...)
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I take the camp corsa nano in a 60 cm.For crampons I have the petzel leapords that I do the alternative way to attach on my trail runners. Both are light and work well if you know how to use correctly. Kristine. Almost positive both will be coming with me in august for my 10 day mostly off trail trip. Would rather take and not need, then not have and chance something scary or not do a peak/pass!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Gazelle wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:40 pm I take the camp corsa nano in a 60 cm.For crampons I have the petzel leapords!
+1 on both endorsements. Total under 1½ pounds - a cheap price to pay for peace of mind. In lieu of the axe, knowing how to self arrest with trekking poles will suffice for late season, as long as the slope inclines are under 35⁰.

Is it a thing among ski mountaineers to prefer longer axes? I'm 5'11" and go with a 70 cm axe on my ski treks.
----------------------
WD commented about hard versus soft snow and the need for crampons all being a timing/sun issue. While softened snow allows stomping in foot placements, steep, soft snow can still be still dicey, as the stomped platform for your foot can give out, and away you go, schussing down corn almost as fast as on hard crust. Experienced trekkers know this and take care to have solid, stable contact with the snow, while strategically placing axe or trekking poles as a backups to foot placements, should they fail. Practice the technique on steep slippery snow slope with a safe run out before taking on a big hill. Likewise practice your self arrest to stop slip-falls. In fact I practice self arrests on every outing, before I get up into steep stuff. It's that important. The takeaway first timers get from practice is twofold: 1, you develop the set of automatic reactions necessary to save a fall, applicable for the specifics of the fall; 2, you learn time is of the essence when reacting to a fall, as often it takes just a moment to go from zero to holly s_ _ t un-stoppable fast or tumbling on a steep slope. Search YouTube for demonstrations of the applicable techniques for axe or trekking poles, depending on your choice of tool.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.