One tent or two?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

One tent or two?

Post by sbennett3705 »

I’m taking my son this August, his first time in the Sierras. What a privilege to pass down this tradition to the next generation. But, I need some advice.

We’ve split the gear to minimize duplications. This last question is the tent: do we share or bring two separate tents? We’re both full-sized 6 tall foot guys. We each own Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 3 tents, which are pretty roomy. But, frankly, having some private space may be worth it despite the extra weight. We’re not ultralighters, so every ounce counts.

Advice?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: One tent or two?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Depends on your relationship with your son. Can you cowboy camp to provide the same thing with zero additional weight? Take a layover day where one of you fishes and the other hikes?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

I have a warmer bag (5 degree) and like to like to cowboy camp. I could bail into the tent in in-climate weather. Simple, didn’t think of this, thx.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, the one place cowboy camping falls through is in buggy locations (or obviously, if it is raining). August will certainly have more mosquitoes this year than usual. But if you select your campsites away from water with some wind exposure, it shouldn't be too bad. Or bring some mosquito netting.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Get a sleeping bag bug net, ground cloth and try out cowboy camping, retreating to the tent only if weather mandates. A sleeping bag bug net is much lighter than a tent, and once you try cowboy camping, you'll be hooked! Good idea to bring earplugs in case your son snores :nod:

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

I think the bug bivy idea is solid, so I ordered one for the clear nights, will share the tent otherwise.
Does anyone have any comments on the Bora Gear Ultralite Bivy (https://borahgear.com/ultralightbivy.html)?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

My son and I have done it both ways. One issue with two tents is you have to find a place to pitch two tents. There's also the weight issue as you mentioned. OTOH, a two man tent is tight for two people. Ultimately, we settled on one tent and lived with the tight space.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The incremental weight gain between a 2-man tent and 3-man tent is minimal, so my husband and I switched to a 3-man tent years ago and never regretted it. Add a dog and it is perfect. You do have to find a slightly larger tent site.

On the other hand, almost all my other backpack partners, ones I know well and those I have never hiked with, prefer each to have their own tent. There can be too much "togetherness" on a long trip and each of us like some private time with no obligation to socialize.

It depends much on your personality and family dynamics. If two tents will keep the peace, then the extra weight is worth it. If you do not see the family member often and WANT the social time, then by all means go for one tent.

PS- if snoring is an issue, either do two tents far spaced or bring ear plugs.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

If you're okay sharing a tent, then ask your son. Pundits abound, we're going to give you answers going both ways.

For a 2lb tent, splitting the weight/bulk may be nice, but also... it's 2lbs! Bring them both! Y'all can bring your own and enjoy some more alone time... Or you can just have one person carry the kitchen (stove, fuel, etc.) and the other carry the tent.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

my trips usually involves 3 to 4 friends. I recommend most be self sustaining. If compatible, 1 tent. If not self-sustained, better stay together.
For stoves, one per person is something goes wrong. I always go self-sustained. I did this on my last trip and told my friends to go ahead due to a medical reaction I had. Their one stove didn't work (yes, I asked the guy if he tested his stove before he left; lied.) They ate cold freeze dried food for 3 days.

I'd still recommend 1 tent.