Any good PCT blogs/journals out there?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Any good PCT blogs/journals out there?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So far only a few PCT hikers are continuing through the Sierra. I imagine that if the river flows become extreme, the word would quickly get out. Some may choose to chance it and then bail out from as far as they can get. That seems to be what those who have decided to start the Sierra are doing now.

At first it was not clear to me if the fellow who met Joshua's group drove down the road or not. Re-reading the post, the "parking lot" they walked to was probably at the entry station. From there they still had to walk down a mile to where the road was plowed. That was a few days ago.

Thier last day posted was 25 miles and took them 18 hours. I believe nearly midnight before they got out!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

This guy is not too bad either and has some good basic video photography too:

https://www.youtube.com/@travelinbeat/videos

Really, all the "Vlogs" are showing what an incredible year it is and the stark, gruesome, amazing, gorgeous, exhausting, dangerous, compelling, exhilarating, white wonderland it encompasses out there.

This is the first time in a while I have really felt some "regret" for my age in relation to something I would really like to be doing. I know I just don't have the strength for all the current requirements this level of snow adventure demands. Just the ability to put one's head down and sleep for instance! Such a "youth" thing that I took for granted for half a century and more. Now "poof" it's wide awake-ville...Not what is needed for these 2:00 am wake-ups to make use of hard snow, then to bed by 5:00 pm, etc.
Sigh.
I do envy them as this is an adventure that I'm sure will be a highlight for the rest of their lives...and deservedly so!

M.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

This guy is one brave soul! Mammoth to Sonora Pass trip report today on the Facebook PCT 2023 page + photos. He implies that the northern Yosemite area was doable re the PCT creeks...when he did it anyhow.

Adrià Palau is in Kennedy Meadow - North, California.
Mammoth to Sonora Pass was wonderful (6 days and arrived today). The landscape is so beautiful, and with the fast snow melting, so many dry trail is appearing and that, that just feels so good when you less expect it!
After hearing all the talking about this section I wasn’t sure of what to expect. I was just ready for the worst rivers ever and to be honest, it wasn’t that bad at all. I am not saying that everyone should go, and that is easy. Just trying to explain that with my little to none water crossing experience, 128lb and alone, I never felt in any type of danger situation during the crossings with the current conditions (may change when days are getting hotter but for now, still pretty cold up there). There are a couple of them that looked strong to me (Return Creek and the first bifurcation on Piute Creek) but all the others are really chill and not fast flow if taken in the Meadows or flat areas. Crossed them all by logs or snow-bridges. Except Return Creek and Spiller Creek where I went to find the Meadows, and from a crazy river, went to a chill river. Here the importance of the right spot.
The only recommendation I can give you and that worked wonderfully for me is to do NOT stress, don’t rush it. Take your time, go to the PCT cross point and observe around. Check the map and see where the creek is the flattest (with the topo maps). Go upstream and downstream and try to find a few places were you feel that you could cross. Debate it with your group and decide the one you all feel comfortable with. Everyone danger feeling is different and relative. Go inside the stream and test how the flow affects your balance, play a little just to feel how powerful the water is and how important is to find the right spot.
Wil probably make a post in the coming days with all the info but maybe the easiest for you is to check the comments on FarOut as it should be updated by now. But really, crazy beautiful out there. The last miles to Sonora Pass is almost all dry and the landscape is just surreal! Happy Trails to you all. Have fun out there!
Shopper.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://www.trailjournals.com/journal/27618

This new post is very informative.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

The Other Tom wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:09 am I'm following this one. Just started the Sierra.
https://www.youtube.com/@melissakozyra1480/videos
Anybody know where Melissa is? Her last post had her entering the Sierra with a fairly large group. That was back in May. Since then there hasn't been any updates on her PCT progress.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

RichardCullip wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:37 pm Anybody know where Melissa is? Her last post had her entering the Sierra with a fairly large group. That was back in May. Since then there hasn't been any updates on her PCT progress.
I haven't seen any updates, but according to her YouTube channel she has an Instagram account. Maybe there's an update on Instagram.
@melissakozyra1480
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

A little late to chime in, since many already finished or aborted, but for me this year, there was finally a PCT video blog that was worth watching. Every episode. Check out what "Huck was Here" has posted this year. He is still out there heading south towards Kennedy Meadows after hopping to the Canadian Border from there early in spring. He is past Lassen already and unless there is an unusually early storm this fall, he will finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d93jOlv ... 25vLhNNMtK

Buy him a honeybun!