First Sierras Trip: Late June. Good idea or postpone?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Socalrider
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

First Sierras Trip: Late June. Good idea or postpone?

Post by Socalrider »

Hey all!

I've been browsing here for a while but this is my first post.

We're down in San Diego. Wife and I are dropping our kids off near Grass Valley for 2 weeks of summer camp starting June 18th. Seemed like the perfect time for a 4-6 day backpacking trip to introduce her to wilderness backpacking. We're both fit. I used to camp/backpack as a kid in the NorthEast including some winter camping & have motorcycle camped throughout the US, MX & Central America. She's only car camped.

My priority is to give her a wonderful experience - a bit of discomfort and strenuous exercise is fine, but want to avoid anything scary or miserable that would prevent us from coming back again with our kids. I've wanted to start exploring the high Sierras for a long time, but this year seems less than ideal due to the massive snowpack.

Any ideas? My vision for a perfect week would include Class 2 hiking by lakes, rivers, canyons, forests, beautiful granite sunsets, sleeping under the stars, and no mosquitoes :)

We could take snowshoes, but that might be a bit much for a first time & we still have the roads/rivers to think about. A few folks have mentioned lower altitude areas like Emigrant, which looks gorgeous if not as spectacular as the higher altitudes. Or should we just focus on a totally different area and defer this particular dream?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: First Sierras Trip: Late June. Good idea or postpone?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, late June should be a good time to get in some hiking just as the snow is melted but before the mosquitoes come out at some mid-elevation (I'm going to guess 6000'-8000', but you'll have to be flexible).

Shorter trips are better. In order to hike for a long time in the Sierra, you'll eventually have to cross a big creek or a snowy mountain pass, and both of those are fairly challenging in early season conditions. If you keep it short, and pick a route with some bridges for the biggest stream crossings, there's fun to be had.

Kennedy Lake area, Leavitt Meadows, and western Yosemite (North Rim of Yosemite, Kibbie Lake, ect.) aren't too far from Grass Valley. And generally pay attention to this forum, everyone's going to be asking the same questions in the next month or two.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Permits may be an issue with everyone wanting to go in the few places without snow.

Yosemite would have the least snow, IF you can get a permit.

Kennedy Lake is good, but it is not granite- how about darker rock cliff sunsets?

It is a 2-day walk to get to the good areas from Leavitt Meadow. And you would have to cross a big creek. Leavitt Lake probably lots of snow.

Although there would be some snow, Desolation Wilderness is close, and Lake Aloha is prime granite cliffs. From Echo Lake you would have to walk on some snow, but it should be OK without snowshoes since the path should be packed down. I would take micro-spikes. Could be some post-hole sections, though. There should be plenty of dry spots to camp; with a free-standing tent you can set up on flat rocks too. Good day-hikes--Clyde Lake, Suzie Lake. Again, permits may be an issue.

There are a set of lakes just north I80 that do not require permits. Cannot recall the names. I think you need a high clearance car or 4wd to access.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:52 pm There are a set of lakes just north I80 that do not require permits. Cannot recall the names. I think you need a high clearance car or 4wd to access.
I think Daisy is referring to the Grouse Lakes Roadless Area on the Tahoe National Forest. I hike there every year. The main trailheads do not require high clearance or 4WD, BUT, they are not plowed and have to melt out. Also, could be some road damage this year. Tahoe National Forest website occasionally updates road conditions, but probably best to call the district office. This is a gentle area but with lots of exposed granite and metamorphic rocks and many lakes. No permits required (except California campfire permit) and popular with families. I think there will be a lot of snow there still in late June this year.

-Phil
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Passes south of SR88 will still be closed. Almost no lakes will be melted out but by end of May one will be able to forecast that by watching Sentinel Hub. Best chance is Grass Lake in Glen Alpine Springs at Desolation Wilderness and Kibbie Lake out of Cherry Valley from Stanislaus NF. Permits easy. Kibbie is better. Both may have mosquitoes. Key is lake elevations under 7k of which there are very few so check on caltopo dot com. For a classic High Sierra experience, everyone this summer will need to wait until August.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Late June is still almost 2 months away, so we all are speculating at this point. Conditions are likely to be minimally 1 month to possibly 2 months behind a "normal" snowpack year. Personally, I like the snowy early season, before mosquitoes, walking on some snow, but still finding dry ground to camp.

Here is Kibby Lake, May 28, 2011 (a high snow year). We punted and instead went down to Yosemite Valley to day-hike. If the snow is not like the photos, and the lake is melted, there probably would be tons of mosquitoes. I would not take anyone there for their first backpack.
0253.jpg
0257.jpg

Although not the mountains, Point Reyes is a very civilized way to introduce someone to backpacking.

Here is a link to a trip to Kennedy Lake late June 2019 (I think it was more than average snowpack, but much less than this year). The difference between Kennedy Lake and Lunch Meadow in the next drainage south but higher elevation, was significant.

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... 03#p147403
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:57 am Here is Kibby [Kibbie] Lake, May 28, 2011 (a high snow year). We punted and instead went down to Yosemite Valley to day-hike. If the snow is not like the photos, and the lake is melted, there probably would be tons of mosquitoes. I would not take anyone there for their first backpack...

Have been to Kibbie many times. Yes the swampy outlet horse trail destination camps at the southeast end of the lake always have mosquitoes. But no, if camped along the open, dry gruss flats above the west shore, there are not particularly any more mosquitoes than one would find at any other lower elevation lakes in June. But indeed if one is a person that doesn't use DEET, then to visit any Sierra backcountry lakes, either visit early when there is so much snow that mosquitoes stay away or late season after late July. Otherwise learn to hike wearing appropriate skin covering clothing, use DEET, and learn to camp where mosquitoes avoid.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Four to six days for a first time backpacking trip is not a good idea. Don't venture into the snow, that is not a good experience for a first timer. Limit the duration to a weekend if you what your partner to go on future trips. Best leaving her wanting for more than, "enjoying" as much as she can stand. Keep the elevation low, the miles short. Teach the basics. Make sure she is pampered, comfortable. Set the hook before you reel 'em in! Save the big adventure for a future trip.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

That was quite a sexist rant! Nobody ever "pampered" me even on my first backpack! I really do not get the where the idea that females have to be pampered comes from. I would rather be assumed competent, not incompetent. Making sure I was safe, teaching me skills, having me do my share of the work- that is how I learned! If someone has to be pampered, then perhaps it is not a good idea to think they will like wilderness backpacking. I do agree with short first trip for ANYONE (male or female, adult or child) and avoiding "epic" conditions.

I took my 17-year old daughter on an epic backpack (not her first, but after a few years of experience). Interesting to note that her comment when we got back was that I did not let her do enough of the camp chores- she was bored!

Anyway, the person posting knows his partner much better than any of us; let him make those decisions.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

you're assuming the advice is based on the her being female, not on her being a newbie. my first trip 50 years ago was a disaster, poorly planned, leader was a nincompoop, but I fell everlastingly in love with the mountains. however, I've let my love cloud my judgment when planning a trip for newbie friends--they were miserable. I agree--under rather overdo. first impressions. it may be significant that your daughter had "a few years" under her belt when she wanted more of a challenge.