First Sierras Trip: Late June. Good idea or postpone?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: First Sierras Trip: Late June. Good idea or postpone?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Newbies do not need to be "pampered". I doubt that word would have been used if the newbie were a man. My objection was mostly to that word, which, for me, set the tone of the post.

Pampering a newbie does not give them a realistic picture of backpacking. Now if pampering the "wife" is the marital style, then yes, she probably would expect the same backpacking. But couple dynamics is none of our business; they will figure it out themselves. Most newbies want to learn, be respected, and do their fair share. Of course, you try to give them a positive experience. For example, cancel a trip that has a horrible weather forecast, or if is at peak mosquitos or known epic post-hole snow. But do not water down the trip too much.

To avoid running a newbie into the ground, if on a trail, I have them go first to set the pace and if they are pushing too hard, then slow them down but still let them go first. There is a real psychologic positive of being in the front.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:36 am That was quite a sexist rant! Nobody ever "pampered" me even on my first backpack! I really do not get the where the idea that females have to be pampered comes from. I would rather be assumed competent, not incompetent. Making sure I was safe, teaching me skills, having me do my share of the work- that is how I learned! If someone has to be pampered, then perhaps it is not a good idea to think they will like wilderness backpacking. I do agree with short first trip for ANYONE (male or female, adult or child) and avoiding "epic" conditions.

I took my 17-year old daughter on an epic backpack (not her first, but after a few years of experience). Interesting to note that her comment when we got back was that I did not let her do enough of the camp chores- she was bored!

Anyway, the person posting knows his partner much better than any of us; let him make those decisions.
LOL! Sexist rant, me? That's a big nope. What we have here is a ready, shoot, aim mistake, essentially a failure to properly identify the target before blasting away at it. Rather than take on this personal assault in a public forum, I think I'll sort this out via a DM.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Socalrider
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Socalrider »

Thanks all for the considered responses! I'm checking in with my wife, I think we'll either scale back this year or push the trip to later.
ndelage
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ndelage »

For someone who has only _car camped_ before, I don't think the advice of keeping things safe & comfortable for their first backpacking trip is a bad idea. If someone's first trip is a high snow suffer fest, they might not be interested in going on a 2nd trip -- regardless of their gender. It sounds like the original poster is trying to introduce her to backpacking and have a future partner for trips like this.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Northern Sierra got hammered but not as bad as the southern Sierra, so it will melt out sooner up near Grass Valley where you're taking your kids. I would plan a couple of 2-3 night trips around Tahoe. You can have a great time lake hopping around the Grouse Ridge / Black Buttes area. For the other short trip I'd do a section of the TRT. The eastern sections will all be melted by then, I'd probably pick Mt Rose to Spooner Summit.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

maiathebee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:39 pm Northern Sierra got hammered but not as bad as the southern Sierra, so it will melt out sooner up near Grass Valley where you're taking your kids. I would plan a couple of 2-3 night trips around Tahoe. You can have a great time lake hopping around the Grouse Ridge / Black Buttes area. For the other short trip I'd do a section of the TRT. The eastern sections will all be melted by then, I'd probably pick Mt Rose to Spooner Summit.
I’ll second this advice. The road to Grouse Ridge may not be in great shape after the winter, but the Carson range east of Tahoe will certainly be accessible and scenic early season.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.