Suggest a 4-6 Day Loop for my wife and I

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggest a 4-6 Day Loop for my wife and I

Post by thegib »

If you aim for latest July you could try the Bear lakes loop. It'll have plenty of snow of course. Pine Creek up over Italy pass, turning south and over Feather pass and down Merriam creek and out over Pine Creek pass. (Or the reverse.) Ought to be an obvious boot track this year.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

samkochel1974 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:51 pm I was looking at the Evolution Loop, but when would it even be passable? Too much snow...? Too much water...?
Really this boils down to what snow skills you have. But the questions you’re asking make it sound like not much.

If you’re looking to do a “bucket list” type of trip, wait til August at least.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

samkochel1974 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:51 pm I was looking at the Evolution Loop, but when would it even be passable? Too much snow...? Too much water...?
Forget about it! A major bridge along the Evolution Loop is out. Refer to this post: https://www.highsierratopix.com/commun ... p?t=22889

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

If you mean the North Lake/South Lake loop and you plan to stay on trail, the bridge over teh South San Joaquin looks like it is severely damaged; therefore, the access to/from North Lake (depending on which direction you are planning on) is over Lamark Col. In a normal year, no big deal. This year, I would be worried about crossing all of the boulders along the Darwin Lakes while there is snow covering the boulders and voids between them. I'd plan on late August this year to avoid that and even then there might be some snow (there was in 2017).