Suggest a 4-6 Day Loop for my wife and I

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
samkochel1974
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Suggest a 4-6 Day Loop for my wife and I

Post by samkochel1974 »

Hello all!

My wife and I live in Ventura CA. We have hiked the back of Half-Dome, Angel's in Zion and camped at Kalalau Beach on Kauai. So we're good to good at Level 3.

What I am looking for is a 4-6 (preferably 4-5) day loop, not Tuolumne Meadows (we've been there) that is going for more beauty and isolation and nothing too strenuous. We can handle above tree line, and a decent 11,000 pass, but mostly beauty and isolation would be the key here, in that order. I'd like to do it this year in July, but I don't know how hard it will be to get a pass? I came here for suggestions. Also, by beauty in order: meadows and flowers, lakes, panoramas, etc.. in that order. This trip is mostly for her and those are her things!

Any addental information would be helpful too, like where do we start/park, etc...
Thanks so much for sharing.

Sam Kochel
Last edited by samkochel1974 on Mon May 01, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Suggest a 4-6 Day Loop for my wife and I

Post by c9h13no3 »

In June? How do you feel about snow?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

June will be snowy. In fact, the Tioga Road may not be even open until sometime in June.

Later on the summer? He loop up Rafferty Creek or Lyell to Vogelsang, then down Lewis Creek and up Fletcher Creek and home again.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
samkochel1974
Topix Newbie

Post by samkochel1974 »

Thanks c913no3,

I didn't realize it would be that snowy. In the past all my sierra backpacking trips were planned by others and other trips like half-dome and Angel's landing didn't have know as a concern (Angel's did, but it was fine and we brought microspikes). My wife and I thought maybe July then. I am looking into your suggestion and seeing what I think. Thanks again,

Sam
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

September is the new July this year
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, but I forgot what "Level 3" includes. Your other examples were all on trails. Isolation will usually mean off-trail travel and good navigation skills.

"Not too strenuous" is a bit vague. Can you give daily elevation gains and miles that you consider acceptable?
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pm Sorry, but I forgot what "Level 3" includes. Your other examples were all on trails. Isolation will usually mean off-trail travel and good navigation skills.

"Not too strenuous" is a bit vague. Can you give daily elevation gains and miles that you consider acceptable?
Level 3 means comfortable with some off-trail hiking (or something like that). I had to look it up myself, as I had forgotten, even though that's what I entered in my profile.

I'll second, what does strenuous mean to you? I used to lead day hikes and backpacking trips, and I found out from one of the regulars that what I described as easy to moderate hikes were being called death marches, all be it with beautiful scenery. Some people would call 10 miles with 2,500 feet of elevation gain in a day strenuous, while others knock that out by 10 AM. Just need to know how many miles you are looking at for this 4 to 6 day trip before making a suggestion.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... php?t=4205

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 1- Minimal hiking
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

This record snow pack summer, there won't be much high country free of snow by early July. Join the rest of us by changing your dates to at least August.
samkochel1974
Topix Newbie

Post by samkochel1974 »

I was looking at the Evolution Loop, but when would it even be passable? Too much snow...? Too much water...?