June 4-10 Trip

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

June 4-10 Trip

Post by Tonydavid »

Hi Helpful Folks....

My 72 year old brother and I (65 years old) yearly take a backpacking/car camping trip somewhere in the West. We are restricted this year to the week of June 4-10. He lives in Southern Oregon and I live in Southern California. We are both in good shape and are avid photographers. We are looking for a destination for this year's trip. The mountains are snowy and the deserts may be too hot. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are very open to all ideas.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: June 4-10 Trip

Post by balzaccom »

The coast, although it will be foggy and damp. Point Reyes, for example. Henry Coe has lots of options, but can be quite hot in June.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

North rim of the Grand Canyon?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If your days available are only June 4-10, Grand Canyon is too far of a drive. Henry Coe too hot.

We have always enjoyed car-camping base at McKerracher State Park, north of Fort Bragg. Long beach walks, many really nice short walks all along the road down to Mendocino. Good trails all around the Mendocino peninsula.

Permits may be a problem at Point Reyes, but there are limited first-come permits you can get. And individuals can also get a group site permit if you are willing to share with others. You do not have to pay for the entire site. You have to specifically ask about these when you get a first-come permit.

Lost Coast is a good early season hike but logistically very difficult. But you would have two cars. If you do not have time for the entire route just do either north of Shelter Cove (2-3 days- all coast) or south (3-4 days- trails above the coast). Permits are now required and a bit hard to get, particularly for the north section (BLM). South section is in Sinkyone State Park.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

If Point Reyes interests you, be aware that a lot of the permits are released exactly two weeks in advance. In other words, Coast campsites 2, 3, and 7 (all good) appear at 7:00 am two weeks prior. Also, Wildcat 6. So for June 5, it's May 22, etc. You also may want to check out the Redwood State Parks: Prairie Creek has both drive-in campsites and hike-in as does Humboldt Redwoods. Both have an extensive trail system through old growth redwoods. My wife and I have hiked in both of them for an entire day and seen almost no one once we got away from the roads/trailheads.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

The Ruby Mountains near Elko are quite pretty. I just looked at a Lamoille snow sensor at just over 8000 feet elevation. The snow depth is 46 and melting fast. You could do an out and back, a two car complete Ruby Crest trail hike, or do a loop consisting of a few wild passes before coming back on the Ruby Crest trail.

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGene ... AVG::value
Jeff
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... 770#p44770

Trip in Ruby Mountains in 2011, a high snow year. This year has more snow. I do not think there will be much backpacking open.
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tonydavid »

Thank you Balzaccom, Wildhiker, Wandering daisy, LMBSGV, JWreno for your thoughtful and helpful responses. Keep the suggestions coming!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Crescent City and Eureka area for car camping and day hiking.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

LMBSGV wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:00 am If Point Reyes interests you, be aware that a lot of the permits are released exactly two weeks in advance. In other words, Coast campsites 2, 3, and 7 (all good) appear at 7:00 am two weeks prior. Also, Wildcat 6. So for June 5, it's May 22, etc. You also may want to check out the Redwood State Parks: Prairie Creek has both drive-in campsites and hike-in as does Humboldt Redwoods. Both have an extensive trail system through old growth redwoods. My wife and I have hiked in both of them for an entire day and seen almost no one once we got away from the roads/trailheads.
I’m looking for somewhere from June 21-24 to take my daughter who is at UC Davis. These two sound promising.

Last year this group helped me find a trip at Hetch Hetchy which turned out to be perfect. This year I’m going later, but the high snowfall is really restricting our options. I’ll have to check these two out, thank you.