Lake Eleanor camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lake Eleanor camping

Post by kpeter »

As I consider places I could get to in late May and June, I was contemplating the walk-in campground at Lake Eleanor. At 4700' I figure that will be snow-free in that time frame, and I could get there even if the road over the dam is not yet open--or if it is (either way.) And from there I could do at least a few strolls--though dayhikes would no doubt be blocked by Kibbie Creek or by Frog Creek or Miguel Creek, so nothing very long.

I have actually never been to Lake Eleanor--I've always bypassed it on the way to Kibbie. Is the campground decent? Are there other places that would be enjoyable to camp or dayhike in the vicinity? I was thinking of a short warm-up trip I could do without reservations in late May/early June while I am waiting for country that is a little higher to open up.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Lake Eleanor camping

Post by balzaccom »

You might also hike to Preston Falls off the Cherry Creek Road. Beware of poison oak on that one ..
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by phoenix2000 »

I've never camped at Lake Eleanor but I've used it as a starting point for backpacking trips before.

I found this picture online while researching for my first trip using Lake Eleanor as a starting point. I saved it because the online mapping sites did not have the trail that go from camping spots 10 & 11 up to the trail that goes to Laurel Lake. It's from before 2017 but I imagine the campsites have not changed.
dsc08848.jpg

Besides the creeks blocking you the dam at Lake Eleanor may block you as well. It has signs on it that say not to cross if there is water flowing over the top of the dam. In August of 2017 when I headed out the top of the dam was dry (see picture below). When I returned at the end of my trip there was about 1-2 inches of water going over the top in the middle of the dam. Since it was ignore the signs and cross or be stuck on the side opposite of where my car was, I crossed. If the water had been like 5-6 inches deep it would have been a different story. I've seen people using kayaks, inflatable rafts and innertubes to get around the lake. If you have one, then I would suggest bringing it in case the damn is overflowing.
P8050003.jpg

The trail that goes from Lake Eleanor to Miguel Meadows is not a trail that I am fond of. In 2017 instead of taking the trail down to campsites 10 & 11, I followed the trail from Laurel Lake to Lake Eleanor via Miguel Meadows. At the time the area had not recovered from the Rim fire in 2013. The area was mainly yellow dead grass with the charred remains of burned trees. It was very hot and the only shade was from the 7 foot tall bamboo like bushes that grew in the 50 foot marshy sections of the trail. The bushes were so tight I had to squeze my way thru them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Phoenix, that is fantastically helpful! Thank you!