Tent Questions

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent Questions

Post by mschnaidt »

Harlen wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:06 pm mschnaidt, I checked it out, and the extra area would be great, however, in my quest for a lighter pack I am keen on the versions of their 2-person tents: the "Double Rainbow," and the "Double Rainbow DW." Have you any experience with these? I am leaning toward the slightly heavier, but double- walled DW, still only 41 oz. The Triple RainbowDW" is just about 7 oz heavier-- do you think I'm lame (or weak) to care about the 7 oz difference?

We were recently pressed against the sides of our current, tight, BA Fly Cr. tent, and our bags got pretty wet. That's pretty luxury room in the Triple. Costs $100 more though. Thanks a lot, we are getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these Tarptents you are selling.... we will hold you responsible for any future Tarptent problems mschnaidt, where do you live? ;) Did you have them do your seamsealing, or do it yourself? Thanks, Ian.
Hi Ian,

I do not have personal experience with the Rainbow line of tents. I prefer a double wall tent but rayfound likes his single wall. I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are reviews on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... inbow+tent.

I did my own seam sealing which was easy but for $35 I'd have them do it.

I'm right off of Hwy 50 in the Sierra foothills.

Enjoy!

Michael
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

mschnaidt wrote:
Hi Ian,
I do not have personal experience with the Rainbow line of tents. I prefer a double wall tent but rayfound likes his single wall. I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are reviews on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... inbow+tent.
Thanks Again Mschnaidt, we are counting our pennies as we gaze at our future roomy tent-- probably going with the Tarptent 2 person Rainbow DW.

BTW, I looked up your hometown of Cameron, curious to see how much closer to the Sierra you are than us, and I learned that not only are you much closer to the mountains, but that you probably have your own airplane to get there with.

Wikipedia says:
Cameron's wide streets double as taxiways leading from the residences to the adjacent airport. Many homes have aircraft hangars (oversized garages) that house personal aircraft, allowing residents to commute from home to work entirely by air.
mschnaidt, you live a fascinating, and exciting lifestyle. I assume you fly right to Bishop Airport to begin your eastside trips? Now we envy you for both your nice big tent, and your mode of transportation/ :nod: .
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:01 am mschnaidt wrote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks Again Mschnaidt, we are counting our pennies as we gaze at our future roomy tent-- probably going with the Tarptent 2 person Rainbow DW.

BTW, I looked up your hometown of Cameron, curious to see how much closer to the Sierra you are than us, and I learned that not only are you much closer to the mountains, but that you probably have your own airplane to get there with.

Wikipedia says:
Cameron's wide streets double as taxiways leading from the residences to the adjacent airport. Many homes have aircraft hangars (oversized garages) that house personal aircraft, allowing residents to commute from home to work entirely by air.
mschnaidt, you live a fascinating, and exciting lifestyle. I assume you fly right to Bishop Airport to begin your eastside trips? Now we envy you for both your nice big tent, and your mode of transportation/ :nod: .
The Rainbow DW sounds like a great choice.

I live on the ridge above the airpark. I'm not a pilot. It's great to be close to the mountains though, I have a nice view of the Crystal Range.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

mschnaidt wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:52 am I prefer a double wall tent but rayfound likes his single wall. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I mean in a perfect world i would PREFER double wall too - it wasn't available when I got my Double Rainbow years ago.

If I was buying a Double Rainbow again, I would be tempted to spring for the extra $90 and 3oz and get the DW version. Though if trying to stick close on budget, for Sierra use, I think the single wall works just fine - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Sure, you get some condensation but its never been so bad that I have concerns about my down bag or anything.

That said, the one I would REALLY want is the single wall LI (DCF) version that drops to 28oz for a 2 person tent, or 24oz for a solo - though the price roughly doubles, sadly.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

rayfound wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:21 am
mschnaidt wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:52 am I prefer a double wall tent but rayfound likes his single wall. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I mean in a perfect world i would PREFER double wall too - it wasn't available when I got my Double Rainbow years ago.

If I was buying a Double Rainbow again, I would be tempted to spring for the extra $90 and 3oz and get the DW version. Though if trying to stick close on budget, for Sierra use, I think the single wall works just fine - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Sure, you get some condensation but its never been so bad that I have concerns about my down bag or anything.

That said, the one I would REALLY want is the single wall LI (DCF) version that drops to 28oz for a 2 person tent, or 24oz for a solo - though the price roughly doubles, sadly.
My first Tarptent was a single wall Contrail. It was fine for the Sierra, very rarely did I have condensation.

That double Rainbow Li at 28 oz is really sexy but the price... Yikes! Kinda hard for me to justify personally. But if I had no budget constraints that would probably be the one.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

rayfound wrote:
Ray, you shoot for the stars, while I for just the moon. Meaning, instead of the $700+ LI (DCF) tent, I seriously considered the Tarptent Double Rainbow Ultra, instead of the standard Double Rainbow DW. The "Ultra" uses a fabric (Ultra TNT, or ?) which Henry Shires of Tarptent told me: really makes the tent super solid. This material doesn't stretch in any direction, and would make the tent better in extreme conditions. That's a paraphrase, but that was the gist of it, and what attracted me to the "Ultra." But the Ultra would've cost $519.00 instead of $389.00 for the DW. I went with the DW, and after adding in the $35 for their seam-sealing job, and tax, it came to $453.00 total. The Ultra model is only fractionally lighter [40.55 oz vs 41oz], but I believe it comes with the seams already sealed. So it was a question of about $90.00 more for the Ultra. $453.00 is already far more than I have ever shelled out for a tent, generally finding them used, (Craigslist, or Mercari) or on wild sales.

I am excited, and happy about the tent... made in Nevada City CA., and the owner Henry Shires seemed very cool, and I've read good things about Tarptent.... and the fact that mschnaidt promises a Lifetime warranty, and will fly directly to our home (you can land on 1/3rd of an acre, right?) to repair any damages, really sealed the deal. Thanks again mschnaidt.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

How to afford pricy gear: Raise your children to be well compensated professionals, then sweet talk them into gifting you luxury tents or other equipment!

Daughter sponsored my DFC pyramid tarp - love it! Perhaps if I was doing the volume of backpacking I did in my youth, then I could justify the bucks, as camping is a relatively cheap sport, compared to golf, hunting, skydiving, skiing, boating, cycling, scuba... But as a senior on a fixed income with a daughter who sometimes indulges her parents, well I guess I am spoiled.
I like soloing with friends.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Harlen wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:56 am rayfound wrote:
Ray, you shoot for the stars, while I for just the moon. Meaning, instead of the $700+ LI (DCF) tent, I seriously considered the Tarptent Double Rainbow Ultra, instead of the standard Double Rainbow DW. The "Ultra" uses a fabric (Ultra TNT, or ?) which Henry Shires of Tarptent told me: really makes the tent super solid. This material doesn't stretch in any direction, and would make the tent better in extreme conditions. That's a paraphrase, but that was the gist of it, and what attracted me to the "Ultra." But the Ultra would've cost $519.00 instead of $389.00 for the DW. I went with the DW, and after adding in the $35 for their seam-sealing job, and tax, it came to $453.00 total. The Ultra model is only fractionally lighter [40.55 oz vs 41oz], but I believe it comes with the seams already sealed. So it was a question of about $90.00 more for the Ultra. $453.00 is already far more than I have ever shelled out for a tent, generally finding them used, (Craigslist, or Mercari) or on wild sales.

I am excited, and happy about the tent... made in Nevada City CA., and the owner Henry Shires seemed very cool, and I've read good things about Tarptent.... and the fact that mschnaidt promises a Lifetime warranty, and will fly directly to our home (you can land on 1/3rd of an acre, right?) to repair any damages, really sealed the deal. Thanks again mschnaidt.
Ultra fabric is also pretty new - so doesn't have the track record yet.

The DR will serve you well. its a really fantastic tent design.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Sorry if this was already mentioned but I didn't see it. I wanted to add is that the Tiger Wall can be freestanding if you have a single trekking pole. Just put the tip through the loop on one unsupported corner and the handle through the other unsupported corner with the trekking pole on the outside of the tent pole in the middle and viola, freestanding.

Overall I've been happy and it's had quite a bit of use, the minor downside being that it's tough to get the rainfly super tight (loud in windy conditions)
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Gogd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:02 pm How to afford pricy gear: Raise your children to be well compensated professionals, then sweet talk them into gifting you luxury tents or other equipment!
You've got the right idea Ed. Most of my pricey gear (except my McHale Pack) have been gifts. And my birthday being close to Christmas delivers an occasional "combined" gift and once I even got a "team combined gift".