San Joaquin bridge washout?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: San Joaquin bridge washout?

Post by Gogd »

commonloon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:15 pm
Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:54 pm Hutchinson crossings are very braided and you would have lots of wading, but probably easier than the equivalent of crossing in Evolution Valley.
Thanks WD! That's what it looks like from the topo, but I've never been thru.

I'm planning on taking my son this year on parts of the JMT/SHR/SSHR (Sobo) so going to plan on this as an alternative to Puppet Pass, depending on conditions.
Yea, probably the biggest challenges will be the Pinnacle Creek crossing, if it washed out the preexisting trail, and (more likely) all of the trail damage and downed wood obstructing the trail. Sections of the Piute Pass Trail traverse some steep terrain and dense forest understory, upstream of the Hutchingson confluence. Getting around fallen logs in such terrain can consume more time than one realizes. But a way around almost always exists, nevertheless.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Ed. Good to know.

We may come thru there via Merriam Lake. Hitting the SHR for a bit, and not having to negotiate Bear Creek or its branches would likely be a good thing; we'd also bypass Pinnacle Creek. I imagine we're going to encounter lots of downed trees, etc. as will the PCT hikers.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

commonloon wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:23 pm Thanks Ed. Good to know.

We may come thru there via Merriam Lake. Hitting the SHR for a bit, and not having to negotiate Bear Creek or its branches would likely be a good thing; we'd also bypass Pinnacle Creek. I imagine we're going to encounter lots of downed trees, etc. as will the PCT hikers.
And this as part of a JMT thru hike?!! I appreciate your wariness of what awaits you on Bear Creek. I was there, JUly, on a year when the entire Sierra east of the Bear Creek Canyon was completely snowbound, yet the creek readily was crossable as far up as we traveled (Sandpiper Lake). What's the plan, bypass Bear Creek and head up Recess Canyon? In that case just head over Mono Pass to Rock Creek, and get back on the JMT further south, at the pass of your choosing. Any route past Merriam will most likely be one of the most arduous of any detour under consideration.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Gogd wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:02 pm
And this as part of a JMT thru hike?!! I appreciate your wariness of what awaits you on Bear Creek. I was there, JUly, on a year when the entire Sierra east of the Bear Creek Canyon was completely snowbound, yet the creek readily was crossable as far up as we traveled (Sandpiper Lake). What's the plan, bypass Bear Creek and head up Recess Canyon? In that case just head over Mono Pass to Rock Creek, and get back on the JMT further south, at the pass of your choosing. Any route past Merriam will most likely be one of the most arduous of any detour under consideration.

Ed
Not really a JMT Thru hike, we're just calling a it the "Big hike."

I've been thru that area with and without snow a number of times. We either head up the Hilgard branch to Brown Bear lake them take the SHR or go up along the East Fork of Bear Creek to Vee lake then SHR to Merriam. Either way over Feather Pass, etc.The other option is the JMT over to MTR then up Piute Canyon. I'm planning multiple route options so we can be flexible. I'd rather do alpine then try to do a sketchy crossing. We'll mostly likely take ice axes and crampons. Travel earlier in the day if it's hot... I'm planning on pre-hiking some sections a couple of weeks before to get an idea for conditions as well.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I am a little bit late to this thread..but I have read some stuff and thought the following might be useful.
In considering whether to go from Muir Pass west via Davis Lake Pass and Davis lake, you have to go around Davis Lake and then cross the San Joaquin above where the bridge is out.

I am attaching three pictures. One is Davis Lake north side, and one is Davis Lake South side.
The third is the San Joaquin. They are about 7-14-17, a very high snow year.
I made it without difficulty over the pass, but I looked at the steep snow going directly into the lake and turned around.
I would not think this is a viable thought process for travel through July this year.
Is it possible with being careful and/or with ice ax? Yes..sure.. I just wouldn't recommend.

The picture of the San Joaquin is near the confluence with the fork going up to Davis Lake. I have crossed here before, without difficulty, but I also would not have attempted to cross at this time.

And of course there is even more snow I think this year.
davis lake s side july 2017 - 1.jpeg
davis lake 2017 - 1.jpeg
south fork san joaquin above bridge 7-14-2017 - 1.jpeg
I think the best approach for PCTers is go over Bishop and Piute passes, assuming the trails are intact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfr
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfr »

Judging by the shadow from the helicopter photo posted upthread, the bridge remains high above the river. The presence of snow on the bridge indicates that much of the wooden decking may be intact as well. It was a VERY solid bridge, capable of allowing stock to cross the river.

Although I cannot recommend this to anyone, I, myself, would not hesitate to hold on to the upper steel rail and carefully work my way across. I can assure you that pieces of caution tape and "Closed" signs will not stop young, fit, and determined PCT hikers from crossing that river, either.

Photos from July 2021:
SF San Joaquin River Bridge view from upstream.jpg
SF San Joaquin River Bridge view from the PCT on the west side.jpg
SF San Joaquin River Bridge view from the PCT looking east.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

jfr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:32 am Judging by the shadow from the helicopter photo posted upthread, the bridge remains high above the river. The presence of snow on the bridge indicates that much of the wooden decking may be intact as well. It was a VERY solid bridge, capable of allowing stock to cross the river.

Although I cannot recommend this to anyone, I, myself, would not hesitate to hold on to the upper steel rail and carefully work my way across. I can assure you that pieces of caution tape and "Closed" signs will not stop young, fit, and determined PCT hikers from crossing that river, either.
Well you would be taking a big risk according to reports from the first PCTers to go through. The bridge is twisted 90 degrees with one rail and one span still in place. The bridge WAS sturdy. Stock COULD cross on it. That is the past.
jfr
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfr »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:14 am
jfr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:32 am Judging by the shadow from the helicopter photo posted upthread, the bridge remains high above the river. The presence of snow on the bridge indicates that much of the wooden decking may be intact as well. It was a VERY solid bridge, capable of allowing stock to cross the river.

Well you would be taking a big risk according to reports from the first PCTers to go through. The bridge is twisted 90 degrees with one rail and one span still in place. The bridge WAS sturdy. Stock COULD cross on it. That is the past.
Do you have more info? From what you said it sounds like they DID cross the bridge successfully. Or did they turn back?
That steel top rail looks good for gripping, even if twisted. And crossing the river during the Spring Flood looks to be a much larger risk.
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

jfr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:36 pm
Do you have more info? From what you said it sounds like they DID cross the bridge successfully. Or did they turn back?
That steel top rail looks good for gripping, even if twisted. And crossing the river during the Spring Flood looks to be a much larger risk.
It was a post in the Far Out app that someone reposted on the JMT Facebook page. I assume they turned back and went back out over Bishop Pass as the post said "Bridge is absolutely unusable. Tilted by almost 90 degrees. No real way to cross the river with it. Avoid completely." But, I don't know, and I do know Bishop Pass would be a long backtrack.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »