San Joaquin bridge washout?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: San Joaquin bridge washout?

Post by c9h13no3 »

sfarnsworth1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:48 pm Excellent pictures. re hikers actually using this bridge?
I suppose after you've crossed sketchy crossing after sketchy snow bridges on the way there, this doesn't seem so bad. Risk normalization.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

We used part of what is being referred to as the "Up and over" bypassed last Friday. I connected the traverse/side hill used to reach Snow Tongue Pass with the up and over bypass route suggested by Wenk/Skurka/others. We traversed from Darwin Creek at about 10700 initially then dropped slightly down until knob 10809 (USGS), went well below know 11084 (USGS) then went down ramps and benches. What seemed to be the 2nd chute back from the creek. There is an open more rocky patch on the topo that we used to find where to begin our descent. We used the creek/steeper cliff face as a backstop then the creek as a handrail. Descending to Aspen Meadow was mostly class 2 with some limited class 3 moves that could have been avoided with better micro navigation. Darwin Creek and a couple of the other creeks during the traverse required finding safe places to cross but it was relatively easy in that regard.

I talked to a PCTer who said her friends were crossing the bridge. ](*,)
Last edited by commonloon on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

It sure is fun to think that everyone is as informed as we are on the forum. Unfortunately while HST is the resource for many of us, the knowledge of this site as well as the useful information is likely unknown to the PCTers, probably 95% of them. Trail talk for the horde occurs on social media, in trail towns, and along the trail. News of poor trails, fires, and bridge issues travels amongst them on their own coconut wireless system. They mostly navigate using their phones or sectionals depicting the main trail following a line north [or south] without hardly understanding or exploring the areas next to them. It's not surprising, really, to hear that they're attempting dumb stuff.

We're usually informed by the rangers about known issues or trail problems when we get our permits. The PCTers have been on trail since about April (the smart ones were able to get a permit and leave in May) from SAN DIEGO; so they're full of confidence and sage trail wisdom by the point they've reached this bridge. Just ask any of them and they'll let you know how experienced they are. However, they're also fueled by finishing and walking every step of that trail, too.

Risk avoidance and acceptance is an individual thing. We can criticize and critique others actions, however if they're willing to take on that risk then hopefully they understand the consequences too. I remember when I was young and dumb; now I'm old and stupid but at least I have better skills in assessing risk and making appropriate decisions.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Hey, do we have this trashed bridge listed yet???
Here is a photo of the Hemlock Crossing bridge from the Facebook "Conditions" page today...

Hemlock Crossing bridge.jpg

M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

michaelzim wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:25 am Hey, do we have this trashed bridge listed yet???
Here is a photo of the Hemlock Crossing bridge from the Facebook "Conditions" page today...

Hemlock Crossing bridge.jpg

M.

Can confirm. Was there july 25. Made bench canyon access VERY interesting. Full TR to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cburton103
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cburton103 »

Has anyone been in this area this year and forded the S Fork San Joaquin near Muir Trail Ranch? Planning on starting at Lake Florence mid September and fording near MTR, then up to Mosquito pass and beyond. Would like firsthand reports if available before my trip. I also plan to try calling/emailing the folks at MTR before my trip to scout out any additional info available.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

cburton103 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:31 pm Has anyone been in this area this year and forded the S Fork San Joaquin near Muir Trail Ranch? Planning on starting at Lake Florence mid September and fording near MTR, then up to Mosquito pass and beyond. Would like firsthand reports if available before my trip. I also plan to try calling/emailing the folks at MTR before my trip to scout out any additional info available.
We were in the area at the end of July. Didn’t check at the usual hot springs crossing by MTR but a mile or two upstream it looked nowhere near crossable. Fast, deep and cold. I’m sure the river has dropped a bit since but probably not fordable
IMG_1536.jpeg
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Enigmagic wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:39 am
cburton103 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:31 pm Has anyone been in this area this year and forded the S Fork San Joaquin near Muir Trail Ranch? Planning on starting at Lake Florence mid September and fording near MTR, then up to Mosquito pass and beyond. Would like firsthand reports if available before my trip. I also plan to try calling/emailing the folks at MTR before my trip to scout out any additional info available.
We were in the area at the end of July. Didn’t check at the usual hot springs crossing by MTR but a mile or two upstream it looked nowhere near crossable. Fast, deep and cold. I’m sure the river has dropped a bit since but probably not fordable IMG_1536.jpeg
Wow, that’s a lot of water. I agree, it’s hard to imagine with that amount of flow that it was cross able downstream. It looks like your photo might have been taken end of day, so when flows were at their highest. I’m hopeful that since we’ll end up crossing close to 11 am flows will be a decent bit less, and 1.5 months later as well. I’ll plan a backup route that doesn’t involve crossing the S Fork if things look bad firsthand. My buddy and I are fairly risk averse, so we don’t plan to take any chances. Too many kids between the two of us to take any undue risks!

I just emailed the folks at MTR yesterday to see if they had any recent information. I’m not sure if they’ll respond, but I’ll post any response here if I get one.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

cburton103 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:00 am
We were in the area at the end of July. Didn’t check at the usual hot springs crossing by MTR but a mile or two upstream it looked nowhere near crossable. Fast, deep and cold. I’m sure the river has dropped a bit since but probably not fordable IMG_1536.jpeg
Wow, that’s a lot of water. I agree, it’s hard to imagine with that amount of flow that it was cross able downstream. It looks like your photo might have been taken end of day
yep that was at sunset. river dropped an inch or two overnight. here is another shot from earlier in the afternoon, slightly upstream
IMG_1537.jpeg
cburton103
Topix Acquainted

Post by cburton103 »

Enigmagic wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:07 pm
cburton103 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:00 am
Wow, that’s a lot of water. I agree, it’s hard to imagine with that amount of flow that it was cross able downstream. It looks like your photo might have been taken end of day
yep that was at sunset. river dropped an inch or two overnight. here is another shot from earlier in the afternoon, slightly upstream IMG_1537.jpeg
I’m curious if it might be a better plan to just head directly south after getting off the Florence Lake tow boat and cross the S Fork on the bridge near the Boulder Creek Campground and then just work our way cross country on the south side of the S Fork until we begin the climb to Mosquito Pass. Has anyone here done something similar?