Sierra High Route - Steel Cable find

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra High Route - Steel Cable find

Post by NoBoHiker »

Hi All,

A bit of a long shot. I am just wondering if anyone know the story behind the long steel cable that can be found along the SHR southwest of Lake Catherine?
Thanks and happy trails!

Rick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra High Route - Steel Cable find

Post by sparky »

have found these before, leftover mining debris
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I have found a similar cable west of Reno at about 8,000 feet in the Mt Rose Wilderness. I also found an old donkey engine nearby. I am surprised that the engine has been left there since probably the Virginia City mining era when much of the region was heavily logged to support mining timbers. I suppose the engine could use the cable to pull itself up the mountain and then use the cable to move other stuff.
Jeff
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

As others have noted, these cables can be found all over, residue from mining days. I have seen them in the Trinity Alps around Emerald Lake (and others,) also around the Brownstone Mine on Pine Creek, also around Relief Reservoir. The cables are often associated with steam donkeys, which were smallish steam engines, originally used as engines for secondary functions on ships, that began to be used in logging and mining operations. To transport the engines the cable would be anchored somewhere uphill, and the engine would pull itself uphill on a sled by winching the cable in. It is amazing the places they could get those things by anchoring and dragging. Then it could be used for dragging supplies. Here are the remains of a steam donkey I came across last summer:
DSC06318-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.