Pacheco Pass wildflowers at peak 4/6/2023

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Pacheco Pass wildflowers at peak 4/6/2023

Post by SSSdave »

As of April 6, 2023, Pacheco Pass is near its spring wildflower peak. Arguably the best blue oak savanna wildflower landscapes in the north state currently. I've been out there 4 times during the last 11 days. Both Pacheco Pass State Park and adjacent San Luis Reservoir Wildlife Area are the best I've seen in over 2 decades of spring visiting with showy species well synchronized. Best aesthetics for photographers are between 10am and 3pm as some species like poppies close overnight, not open early mornings. Besides, at mid day the very green landscapes glow due to translucence. A downsized for web shot 1500 pixel wide image from Thursday 4/6/23. Original 9600x5900 pixels 3 column 1 row focus stack stitch blend from 65 shots.:

Some thumbnails of subjects thus far post processed with a lot more to do:

And expect to visit the state park again on 8am Monday 4/10/2023, the day after Easter as forecasts show it will be sunny, low breezes in morning, and the warmest day so far this year. A smooth 60 mile drive south from San Jose. Any others want to join me independently at the parking lot, send a PM. Plan to hike way out 3+ miles to the south boundary so good spring exercise.