Kettle Dome Entrance Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kettle Dome Entrance Kings Canyon

Post by Lenier »

I saw a post online that has since been deleted that had a picture of a very old, worn metal sign that said "Kettle Dome Entrance Kings Canyon." I can't find much info about such an entrance online - would this be where the faint trail just south of Kettle Dome crosses from Sierra NF into Kings Canyon NP?
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Re: Kettle Dome Entrance Kings Canyon

Post by michaelzim »

Not too sure if the question here is about the sign, the entry, or the history. However, that old trail just south of Kettle Dome does go into Kings Canyon apparently (I did not take it as was very vague) but drops into Blue Canyon. The trail you may be referring to was more visible and used but hit off south, then SE, from Crown Valley. That drops into the Tehipite Valley itself.
No first hand experience but I did meet a hiker heading off on the latter "Tehipite" trail though the head ranger at Prather had warned me that it was a trip she "never wanted to do again" - as per a lots of brush, poison oak, hot as hell, etc. One of the reasons I love the Sierras so much is the lack of Poison Oak, so that nixed that route for me big time.
Sorry, not a lot of help, but something.
M.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I was curious about the sign itself initially, but after a few late nights reading trip reports about the area (including some of yours - fantastic reads by the way!) I think the sign I saw pictured online is indeed on that trail.

It's quite sad it's not used more, especially considering how close it is to Fresno.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

"However, that old trail just south of Kettle Dome does go into Kings Canyon apparently (I did not take it as was very vague) but drops into Blue Canyon." I took that trail 10 years ago or so and thoroughly enjoyed it. It disappeared very quickly after leaving Cow camp, or whatever that ranch is, with very many trees down and mostly hiding what was left of the trail. It probably would've been quicker to not even look for the old trail and just contour along near 8000' but I enjoyed the challenge of continuously re-finding the traces. The hike north into Blue Canyon was spectacular. It must've been following a high snow year, or I just nailed the timing, because water was pouring off everywhere - and yet I don't remember any special difficulty crossing creeks... (Selective memory!) I hope to do it again. I do wonder if they've done work on that trail since?
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I'd love to do it as part of a Blue Canyon and/or Tehipte valley trip!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

In 1990, I returned through Blue Canyon and the Kettle Dome Entrance on a trip that is documented at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/FingerPeakLoop/index.html
Apparently the trail has been let go in the section east of the Johnson Ranch.
I came down Blue Canyon around 2000, this time returning over Coyote Pass and down Crown Creek. The trail had been cleared in Crown Creek Canyon in a very disorganized way, winding around many deadfalls. It was easier to go cross country and follow the original path than stay on the new circuitous trail.
A video of a trip through the area in 2012, was made by the late Matt Yaussi and is posted on YouTube at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjPi7to06K4
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I've been reading your trip reports for years - I've learned so much by reading them. Thank you for documenting so much of that!

I just now realized that I probably found HST through your website
codylaeder
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by codylaeder »

I can't find much info about such an entrance online - would this be where the faint trail just south of Kettle Dome crosses from Sierra NF into Kings Canyon NP?
Yes the Blue Canyon Trail, after it forks off the Theodore Solomons Trail. The sign marks the rough boundary between Kings Canyon National Park & Sierra National Forest. It is more or less hidden in a brush as where it is located in a marshy stream flood plane. I was there in August 2023. Went back in 3 times in October 2023. Probably going back this year a few times as well.

The real problem you'll encounter is early in the season Crown Creek is very wide & fast flowing (even last in the year) so during the melt it is impassable. During the warmer summer months it is HOT (July, August) there are a ton of bugs (as Deer Meadow a swamp). October was very good.

As of October 2023 NSF workers were (almost) clearing the trail as far as Johnson Ranch. They missed a number of the biggest trees but generally you can make excellent time to the Ranger Station Building & Johnson Cow Camp. The trail is wide & soft dirt without a lot of elevation gain. Use the Rancheria Trailhead, not the Crown. The difference is ~1700' (less) of elevation gain and avoiding the 2015 Rough Fire burn scar (where the trail occasionally becomes hard to follow).

Once you're past Deer Meadow, all bets are off. The trail is FULLY unmaintained and quickly returning to nature. There are more downed trees then I can count and lot of brushy twiggy overgrowth. The trail is still visible in a lot of places (invisible in others). You'll constantly be needing to walk around trees & push through bushes. I did meet 1 party out there (2nd week of October) so there are beaten paths. It is a great place to improve your route finding. I didn't see much poison Ivy and the 4 times I've done this hike it has been in shorts with any rashes forming.

If you're interested in attempting to reach Tehipite Dome. I do highly recommend, the views are spectacular. Just a little frustrating to reach.

If you want to know some hazards -> https://caltopo.com/m/4E1J9 This is based on my experience in October. A lot of snow has fallen since then, so it is probably gotten even worse.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jmherrell »

I also did the Blue Canyon trail in 1989 from the Rancheria Creek trailhead. It was in good condition all the way into the upper canyon where it gave out. I continued to Blackcap Basin and back to Rancheria Creek. It was early July with no water problems except Crown Creek which was very full. Fortunately, I found a very large tree across the creek or I would have turned back.
machocomacho22
Topix Newbie

Post by machocomacho22 »

I am planning to do this route in early September, as a slow and easy five day out and back from the Rancheria trailhead to upper Blue Canyon and the lakes, then checking out the dome and its environs on the way back. Looking forward to any trip reports from the early season and will share mine after the trip.