Sierra hikes for Aussie visiting in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dondet
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Sierra hikes for Aussie visiting in June

Post by dondet »

Sure, thanks for all the help and info.
Off topic, will day hikes in Yosemite be viable?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Those out of the Valley will be. Those out of Tuolumne Meadows won't be.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My strategy in Yosemite is to get an overnight backpack permit that allows you to camp at the Backpacker's campground the night before and night out. Ideally a permit to a destination that can be reached in less than half a day. Snow Creek is one, Little Yosemite Valley also (but these permits are hard to get). IF you are strong hikers, you can do an overnight up Pohono Trail, camp down Four Mile Trail or the longer continuing on Panorama Trail and down Mist Trail (it is best if you have 2 cars for this). North Rim Yosemite Falls to Snow Creek is a great overnight and easy transportation with the shuttle busses between trailheads. I have done both directions and am not sure which trailhead is the easier to get a permit.

Day1- drive to Yosemite and camp outside park, Day 2 drive into valley early and day-hike, camp at Backpacker's campground. Day3, do your overnight backpack, if short you can also day-hike in the valley. Early morning photographing is really great. Day4. Camp at your permitted location, and perhaps do some day-hiking from there. Day5 walk out early if you want to do more valley day-hiking, or day-hike from your backpack destination and come back late, camp at Backpacker's campground. Day 6 you have to be out of your campsite by 11AM- drive out. You can also drive into the Valley on Day1 and have your backpack permitted site for Day2 if you do not have lots of time. It all depends on if you want to maximize your valley day-hikes or maximize your backpack day-hikes.

Your time-frame is very busy in Yosemite Valley due to peak climbing season. It is often impossible to get into Camp4. A backpacking permit is also a camping permit for night before and after. The Backpackers campground is actually very nice- I prefer it to Camp4. And for scenery, Yosemite Valley cannot be beat although you do have to tolerate the crowds.

Sequoia National Park is easier to get permits but not good for day-hiking.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Along with WD's great suggestions, while it varies from year to year, Glacier Point Road often opens earlier than Tioga so it's possible Glacier Point could be open for you. Those trailheads open up the South Rim for day hikes or overnight trips. Just keep checking the Yosemite plowing updates to see the current status:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Also consider the Trinity Alps Wilderness in northern California. Lower than the Sierra, but with lots of alpine country and deep river canyons between the mountains that should be accessible earlier. No quotas on trail use. Check this website for info:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stnf/re ... recid=6521
-Phil
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

if it were me I would chose something from these options:

1. secure accommodations (either campsite, hotel, cabin) and just do a dayhiking trip visiting the west side of either yosemite or kings canyon/sequoia. Do not try to do both.
2. Do as WD suggested. Secure a backpacking permit in yosemite that will also secure you a spot in the backpackers campground the night before and after your trip.

Yosemite valley is nice for travelers like you as it is much more developed than SEKI. Yosemite valley and kings canyon in june will knock your socks off. BE AT THE TRAILHEAD BEFORE 6AM and thank me later! The masses on vacation dont wake up that early, and the early bird catches the worm.
dondet
Topix Novice

Post by dondet »

Thank you for all the wonderful advice. Great to know about the backpackers campground.
Do you guys have any indication of when glacier pt rd will be open? Should I get a permit for one of those just in case or is that too much of a risk/unrealistic?

Also looking at Chilnualna Falls, why are there so many spots available for that one??
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dondet wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:14 am Thank you for all the wonderful advice. Great to know about the backpackers campground.
Do you guys have any indication of when glacier pt rd will be open? Should I get a permit for one of those just in case or is that too much of a risk/unrealistic?

Also looking at Chilnualna Falls, why are there so many spots available for that one??
Historic Glacier Point road opening dates can be found here. Similar years are 2017, 2011. I'd guess Memorial Day for 2023.

Chilnualna Falls is mostly a day hike, and the terrain beyond is not nearly as dramatic as the stuff in the Valley or the Yosemite high country.

If you're coming all the way from Australia, Yosemite is the slam dunk choice IMO. There's a reason it is crowded, and the crowds can be managed in various ways (backpacking, starting early or late, use less popular trailheads)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dondet
Topix Novice

Post by dondet »

Ahh right ok thanks.
From the pictures, I can't say I disagree. Just sadly organising the flights a little too late to snag any great backpacking permits unfortunately.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dondet wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:51 am Ahh right ok thanks.
From the pictures, I can't say I disagree. Just sadly organising the flights a little too late to snag any great backpacking permits unfortunately.
Depends on what you consider great, but I disagree. There are quite a few permits available I'd consider. All three Pohono permits, Rockslides, Old Big Oak Flat. These trailheads do have obstacles, but they're easily surmounted IMO. Plus the 40% that get released 7 days in advance (you'll want to practice getting a permit for a day you won't use in advance to make sure you can get one you want).

Even a single overnight where you backpack into a location after dinner, leave after breakfast gets you into the park, access to the backpackers camps, and a place to stay for cheap.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.